Sponsored by:

gauge lights and fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:31 AM
servite888
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile gauge lights and fan issue

We have a 1974 porsche 914 it runs well, needs clutch (Another thread coming) all outside lights function (headlights turn signals etc). Our problem is that on the gauges, the turn signal light, parking, high beam, oil pressure indicator light, break warnimg light, oil pressure light, and fasten seat belt lights and buzzer do not come on. also I dont hear a ventilating blower fan when its turned on. My question is, where should i trouble shoot how do I start? any ideas what could be the problem? we love the car but would like these things working. the fuel warning light does go on however when its low. Thank You in Advance. John
Old 07-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Hi John. Sounds like it may be a ground problem. Their are a bunch of them scattered under the dash, so you'll have to lay down and look up to find them. Also make sure the bulbs are not corroded. You can do that by simply pulling on the edge of the gauges. This will pop the gauges out and then you can pull the individual bulbs out. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '73 had the same problem. Same things didn't work, but I never fixed them so I am not any help. But Matt is right, start there.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:31 PM
servite888
Cruisin'

Hi Matt thaks for your reply. What would a ground wire look like?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Ground wires will attach to the metal under the dash. It will have a stud coming off the metal and it there will be a nut holding the wire in place.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:39 AM
servite888
Cruisin'

Default thanks

Hi matt thanks for your help I managede to get the e-brake and the "g" to light up when I stall, I guess the bulb/ short issue is not the prob. haven't been able to get the oil light on (Good i guess)My question is when I turn the ignition on shouldnt all the lights turn on? If this is not the case what do you think that could be. sorry fro rattling on thanks for your help again. blinker light doesnt go on when I turn either.
John

Quick Reply: gauge lights and fan issue