914 conversion options....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 09:45 AM
brian_l_cummings
AutoX

Location: originally Phoenix, Arizona; but currently Osaka, Japan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 914 conversion options....

there are several conversion options out there to improve the 914's performance...who out there has what? The conversions that I know of are: converting to a porsche flat-6, converting to a chevy small block, converting to a chevy V6, converting to an ally buick V6, converting to a subaru flat four, installing a porsche V8,or just hoppping up the VW IV engine....who has done what? or, who has driven these conversions? which conversion is the "easiest?" which conversion is the "cheapest?" what about handling? I am just wanting to hear people's experiences....
Old 01-12-2003, 10:01 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Hi Brian..!!

Umm - really - no conversion is cheap, if you know what I maen..! In all honesty, it depends on what you want to do with the car..? For example, I put a 3.0 into mine, as I wanted to be able to participate in PCA events with it (they have a thing about non-Porsche power .. But then again, a good friend of mine added a V* conversion to his, and drives it with the BMW and Ferrari clubs at their track events..?

How expensive is it to convert a 914? Again - I can only speak for a Porsche 3.0 conversion, and you'll see a thread here:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000409" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000409</a>

that goes through a list of things I needed for mine...

Hope this helps!
Old 01-12-2003, 12:32 PM
918-S
Racer

No conversion is cheap, easy, or quick. What do you plan on doing with the car? The type VI is a great motor. The 914's have nice fuel injection. If check with the guys that build the type VI's they can help steer you into a few nice mods for your car. I started a 928 conversion a few years ago in my spare time. I guess I just wanted to see if I could do it. I'm finally getting closer to a test firing. (no conversion is quick) Check with some of the guys over on the 914club.com site also. There's alot of knowledge over there too.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:36 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 590 Posts
If you have any questions about a big type 4, feel free to drop me a line and i'd be more than happy to answer them and share my experiences with them.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:25 PM
brian_l_cummings
AutoX

Location: originally Phoenix, Arizona; but currently Osaka, Japan
I don't particularly want to do a conversion, I was just curious, "bench rodding" as it were...

how many horses does a stock 2 liter type IV put out? 90? what's the max reliable/streetable power from a hopped up one? and how much is that gonna cost????
Old 01-13-2003, 10:00 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 590 Posts
Using cast iron cylinders, you can take the type 4 to 2270 (96 x 78.4) with 100% reliability, and depending on how much head work you do and what kind of exhuast you use, its good for 150-170 HP. Hop onto aircooledtechnology.com to get an idea for what has been done.

We make some billet aluminum nikasil cylinders for the type 4 that will let you increase your bore upto 106.3 while still cooling and sealing, and do so realiably. We've done our own testing for our Nickies and in a 102 x 80 (2615cc) configuration, with Remmele L4 heads and a Tangerine Racing tuned 4-2-1 exhaust, 240 HP is no sweat, and can be attained well within the rpm range of hydro lifters, under 6500rpm, with the reliability and operating temps equal to or less than a stock 2.0L.

Whatever you do, just stay away from cast iron 103s and 105s- they are a recipie for disaster. If you're looking to increase displacement and are planning to stick to cast iron cylinders, stay with 96s and increase the stroke. Aircooled Technology sells kits in proven configurations, but mind you, they won't build any engine with a bore larger than 96s without a set of our aluminum cylinders. Case in point, save your pennies, spend the money once, and do it right from the start.

Quick Reply: 914 conversion options....