Need Advice on Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 10:04 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Need Advice on Brakes

I am planning on helping my dad get a 914 running over July 4th weekend.

It is a ’72 that the PO installed a 2.0 engine and updated tranny. The PO also had the fuel injection replaced with weber carbs. The car has been sitting in a garage for the past 10 years. Dad bought it for $500 because it did not run right. On removal of the engine dad found that one of the carbs was loose and we think that was the problem.

To the question at hand:

He is trying to overhaul the brakes, but one of the calipers is stuck. It has been suggested that he attach a grease zerk and pump up the caliper with grease to force the piston out of the caliper.

I know very little about the brakes on a 914 and I an trying to locate good references on them – parts, replacement calipers, rebuilding and modification tricks, etc.

Having done several Driver Education events, I am a believer in great brakes and I want to make sure that his braking system DE capable. I would really like to do Road Atlanta with him at some point.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2002, 11:23 PM
Mihai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best solution is to have the pisaton out by applying pressure with the master cylinder on the car.

If the caliper is going to be totally rebuilt, I'd heat up a bit the frozen pistons with a propane torch.

I've never tried the grease gun thing, it seems that it will work just fine.

Last and most dangerous is using compressed air, the piston will pop out violently.

Keep us updated.

Mihai
Old 06-17-2002, 10:03 AM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used the compressed air trick a few times. Place a small piece of wood in the caliper, in place of the rotor, so the piston doesnt lauch into space.

good luck
Old 06-17-2002, 11:07 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About the compressed air - how were you able to get an tight connection?

The only reason we may do the grease thing is that we can build up preassure. We would much prefer the air method, but we do not know how to build up pressure.

The big downside of using the grease gun is that we have to make sure we get out all of the grease when we do the rebuild – a messy sounding proposition and one that leaves room for error (not getting all of the grease out).

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:12 PM
david914
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use an air gun with a soft rubber tip. Put a block of wood between the pistons, press the air gun tip tightly into the threaded hole where the brake line goes, and apply air. WATCH YOUR FINGERS! Don't ask how I know... Ouch! mommie?

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Brakes