Notices
914/914-6 Forum 1969-1976
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 2.7 a good motor for a six conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 03:32 PM
Brian Miller
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Is 2.7 a good motor for a six conversion?

I friend has the opportunity to get a 2.7L motor from a wrecked 911 and suggested putting it in my 914 instead of rebuilding the 1.8 I have now.

Is this a good motor? What about the tensioners? How much would a rebuild typically cost? What else is involved in converting a 1.8 FI four to a 2.7 six?

Any and all info is much appreciated... this seems like a good opportunity but I don't want to rush into anything.
Old 09-07-2001, 08:24 PM
Brian Miller
AutoX

What about a 3.2?
Old 09-07-2001, 10:54 PM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Pelican Parts has a great 914-6 conversion tech article here:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914-...uction_kit.htm

Lots of guys have used the 2.7. It can produce a great deal of power (up to 250+ hp), and be reliable, when built properly. They do require some extra techniques and parts to overcome some inherent issues with the design, but these things are well known by now. Bruce Anderson's 911 Performance Handbook is a must-read if you wish to learn about your various options with the 911 engines, from the 2.0 thru the 3.6

All in all, the "sweet spot" engine for 914/6 conversions seems to be the SC 3.0. They are relatively plentiful, extremely reliable, much cheaper than the 3.2 and 3.6, and quite powerful. But as you go to the 3.0-3.2-3.6 you get into expensive transmission/clutch/flywheel conversion issues too. IIRC you can use the stock flywheel and clutch up thru a 2.7; after that, add another $1-2K to your budget for more parts.

Oh yeah -- it's a "prudent" idea to buy somebody else's conversion car, or unfinished project, versus doing it yourself. They typically sell for 50-65% of what they cost to build. The seller's loss is your gain.

Have fun,
Old 09-08-2001, 01:46 PM
Brian Miller
AutoX

Thanks for the info. Based on what you have said is it a general concensus among 914 owners that having a good 4cyl. motor built is a better option that converting to a 6cyl. financially?

I was thinking of having Jake at AirCooled simply rebuild my 1.8 to 2056 before this chance of getting a low cost six came up. Is it better to have a solid four than an iffy six or is building a six simply on a scale far beyond replacing the four?

I'll do some research, I appreciate the link... would like to know what other 914 owners think as well.

Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2001, 02:05 PM
Brian Miller
AutoX

I just wanted to say thanks again for the info. After reading a few articles and looking at the parts involved I can see where a six conversion can really add up.

Still, it would be an interesting project. I'll probably go with one of Jake's Type IV rebuilds for now and consider a six project in the future.

Thanks again,

Quick Reply: Is 2.7 a good motor for a six conversion?