Sponsored by:

Valve Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 05:01 PM
JFinnell
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Valve Adjustment

I just completed a half rebuild of my 914 1.7L Big Bore (93mm) engine. I replaced the rings, honed the cylinders, and had the heads checked and resurfaced. Once I torqued down the heads and the rocker arms, I backed out the valve screws. Now, I can't move the rear wheel (one wheel elevated/ one not) to rotate the engine for the valve adjustment. Am I creating a vaccuum by not having the valve screws press the valves open? Do new rings make rotation of the engine more difficult? The engine rotated and pistons moved through the cylinders before I torqued down the heads...
Old 08-08-2001, 06:32 PM
JFinnell
6th Gear

Note: I am following the Pelican Technical Article: 914 Valve Adjustment Made Easy. I usually put the car in 5th gear and rotate one wheel while the other is planted on the ground. I have adjusted the valves before without any problems, but now the engine has a lot more resistance. Would another gear give me more leverage? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
Old 08-08-2001, 07:06 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Hi..!

OK - first - remove the spark plugs! If the engine does not spin freely, then you have a problem (don't force it! - as the transmission should provide the leverage you need to turn even a "rebuilt" engine). It could be a number of things including...

Pushrods binding/not seated; cam timing; valve stuck open (recheck TDC to be sure that you are in the right valve adjustment sequence); deck height... Also - if you have a limited slip differential, you can't use the Pelican method..

Try removing the plugs and tell us what happens..! (What bothers me the most is that you said that "it turned "before" you torqued down the heads.. It should turn with the same effort with the heads both "on" or "off" - with the sparkplugs removed..).
Old 08-10-2001, 10:27 AM
JFinnell
6th Gear

Talking

John,
Thanks for the tip. I did two things to make the engine rotate. To pass the time, I re-connected the shift linkage, which resulted in fully engaging fifth gear. I must have been slightly out of gear before. Still, the engine did not rotate easily. I then took your advice about the spark plugs. Voila, the engine rotated smoothly. With the valves adjusted, I plan to take it for a spin this weekend.
Thanks Again!

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustment