Sponsored by:

Temp Gauge Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 01:28 PM
JGriff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Temp Gauge Replacement

My center console temp gauge is not working. I checked for current, and I have just about 12 volts feeding to it.

I'm assuming then that I can just order a new gauge and that should be it, right? Or could the sender be bad, but still send 12 volts?

If I buy a gauge, should I get an OEM unit, which does not have numbers on it, or should I order a VDO unit, which does have numbers on it? I would prefer the latter, but does that VDO unit require a different sending unit? If so, how difficult is that to replace?

Thanks.
Jim
Old 08-06-2001, 07:59 AM
saint
Intermediate

Hi.
Don't replace the gauge yet. First, check to make sure the wire has not fallen off the sensor. This is located in a small indent in the round plate fitted in the middle of the crankcase on the bottom. If it has not fallen off, it could still be the sensor. Get under the car, ground the sensor wire, turn to ignition switch on and check to see if the gauge moves. If it does, sender fault, if not check the earth on the gauge, if not, you may have a bad connection in the wire leading to the sensor. Please check these first, before you replace the gauge.
Saint
Old 08-08-2001, 12:42 AM
JGriff
Racer

Thanks for the detailed response... I appreciate it. What you said makes great sense. I'll check it out first before spending the money on a new gauge.

Thanks again.

Jim
Old 08-12-2001, 03:32 PM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

IMHO the stock center console gauge is next to worthless: for one, it is not numbered. It barely moves at all and really just tells you the engine is "cold, not cold, or a little warmer". Second, it is 30 years old, give or take.

The VDO gauge with matching sender is the way to go, at least if your stock gauge craps out.

Quick Reply: Temp Gauge Replacement