Sponsored by:

914 seats!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 06:46 PM
toman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 914 seats!

Hey everybody... I would like to know what, if any, aftermarket seats will fit in my 1970 914. I'm looking for something streetable but more supportive than stock seats. Some modification is ok, and i would like to be able to use a four point harness. Also, are there any good seat covers out there to fit stock seats? Thanks for any insight...
Old 06-21-2001, 09:01 PM
SC-Surfer
1st Gear

I'm looking for a viable seat upgrade as well. Did you ever find something that will work??
Old 06-22-2001, 02:52 AM
toman
Track Day

No, I still haven't found any info, really. I saw a post either on this board or the pelican parts board where a guy put some Sparcos in a 914, but I'm not sure which ones they were. Somebody out there has got to know!
Old 06-26-2001, 10:28 PM
Ed Villela
2nd Gear

Cool

Konig make a very nice seat for the 914 with 5 point harness cut outs. Stable Energies carries them, but they are pricey, ~$500- each.

Corbeau Clubman and Forza models fit nicely as well, these seats sell for approx $215- $225 each.

Ed
Old 07-01-2001, 02:11 AM
toman
Track Day

Well, I think I have decided on the Corbeau Forza. Anybody have experience with this seat? I need to find one to sit in before I buy one, but dealers seem hard to come by.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:33 AM
Sonny
2nd Gear

The most common aftermarket seats for a 914 were Scheel (spelling)who sold the design to Konig. Konig now sells it as a race seat with a sub belt cut out or not. They work well, bolting directly to the stock runners. I have both original scheels and a konig. Definitely recommend either over the stock seat.
Old 07-19-2001, 12:01 PM
DERSIX
Advanced

Toman,
The Konig seats are good. I have one in my 914-6. I would not recommend the use of a 4 point belt system. The submarine strap holds the lap belts on your hips. Without the fifth belt, the lap belts can ride up into the gut area and on impact will remove a few organs you may want to keep. A small hole in the floor will not destroy the integrity of your car, but may save your life.
Pete
Old 08-04-2001, 12:37 AM
boxstr
2nd Gear

Hello You might check with a place in Wilsonville called Zspeed they advertise in the Auto Trader. They have the Corbeau seats in stock and you can try sitting in one.
Old 08-12-2001, 03:38 PM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

I have the Corbeau Forza's in my 73 2.0. This is a full race seat, tube frame with 5pt harness slots and about 16 lbs/ea.

This seat does fit the 914 very well, and is one of the least expensive options at around $220/each (not including rails/adapters.) If I had it to do over again (and I will, with my next car), I would spend the extra money to get a seat with a full back, i.e. aluminum/fiberglass/kevlar. The tube frame seats are not terribly comfortable -- it is basically a, well, tube frame, with some elastic webbing and cloth stretched over it. I learned (hindsight is 20/20) that there are Momo and Cobra seats that are very similar to the Forza, but with a full back, and not a whole lot more expensive.

These types of race seats do hold you in position like you wouldn't believe. For track use, there is no substitute. Stock seats feel like a living room couch in comparison.

I have pics of my installation here: http://www.nosubstitute.org/914/seats

Also, as someone else said, do not use a 4-point harness! Go with a 5 or 6-pt. A harness system without the anti-sub belt is not safe. The anti-sub belt helps keep the lap belt down on your hips and not on your abdomen where lots of squishy important organs live. It also helps keep you in your seat. I went with the Schroth Profi 5pt camlock setup, which is German made and probably the best harness available (although quite spendy). I am using a Stable Energies harness bar until I put in a rollbar/cage.

Cheers

Quick Reply: 914 seats!