Sponsored by:

Long block options: '76 914-4

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 01:22 PM
Queenie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Long block options: '76 914-4

I'm in need of a new long block; the build is tentatively scheduled for sometime between October and December, so I have a little time yet to do my research. My ex-husband has graciously offered to do this engine rebuild for next to nothing, and having driven tens of thousands of miles on engines he's built I'm confident in his ability to do the job.

But I'm not sure where to purchase a long block from.

I was thinking GEX - price is right, catalog looks good...but a Gooja search yields all kinds of horror stories (along with the occasional satisfied customer). Even though I know better than to take stuff I read on Usenet as gospel, these stories give me pause.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to alternate companies to purchase such an item from, or any stories of your own, or any ideas, or anything at all?

My 914 is my daily driver and I can't afford to be dicking around with endless problems. I realize that all engine rebuilds come with quirks and unforseen troubles - this won't be the first time I've gone through this process. But I need it to go as smoothly as possible, and I need it to be (more or less) a done deal once it's finished.

I don't mind spending some money to insure that I get the job done right. I'm already saving a lot of money on labor, so that frees me up to spend well on parts.

All suggestions and advice are welcome.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Geoff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GEX is terrible and you can get a exchange engine. I know of one lister who used them, he exchanged his 74 2.0l and got a 2.0l bus motor! 95hp vs 72hp.
I don't know where to go in South Calif so maybe try posting on the 914club.com site as there are lots of guys from LA posting, like MikeZ, Chris C.

Geoff
Old 07-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 590 Posts

What kind of budget have you allotted for your build. What kind of driving habits do you have? I.E. is your teener a daily driver and sees lots of miles each year, or does it only go out once or twice a week to the supermarket? What kind of life expectancy are you looking at for your new engine? 10-20k miles or 100,000 miles? I would recommend that you hop onto Jake Raby's Aircooled Technology (http://www.aircooledtechnology.com) and read on what different engine configurations are possible too.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance

Quick Reply: Long block options: '76 914-4