914 Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 01:13 AM
Robert Lewe
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 914 Track Car

Hello All:

I am considering buying a 914 to turn into a pure track car (Drivers Ed and possibly club racing sometime in the future). My experience working on my own car is minimal, and I plan to learn as I go. I would really appreciate any recomendations with regard to books that I could read to help me both restore and modify this car. Thank you very much.

Robert Lewe
Old 07-17-2003, 01:57 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Robert,

My advice is for you to find someone in your local area that has a car similar to the one you want to eventually have. Then find out what they changed and why.

As far as books are concerned, I recommend studying the club rule book. You want to understand what changes are allowed and what are not. Plus what are mandatory. An innocent modification could put you into a class where you are non-competitive. Again, a person with a car in your class would be a good source of information.

I drive with the local PCA club and their rule book is very clear. For example, my car came with15x7" rims which put me in a higher horsepower class even though my engine is stock. If I had had 15x6 I would could have run the same size tire but be in a more competive class with other 914 - 2.0's.

Good luck. Track cars can be a lot of fun.

Rob

Quick Reply: 914 Track Car