Sponsored by:

914 as DE car for beginner

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 04:12 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 914 as DE car for beginner

I've finally got my girl friend interested in Porsches, but she has no interest in my 944. She enjoys watching the DE events but she is itching to get on the track herself. Would a 914 (any engine) be a good car for her to learn track driving?

What, if any, are the ups and downs of learning to drive a 914 on the track?

TIA!
Old 11-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, yes, yes !!! 914's are awesome handling little cars. They are easy to drive and the only thing holding you back would be power (engine). Any engine will do. The trick will be to find a ggod rust free example. You may be better off finding a good car with all the goodies and paying a bit more. If you get one with rust that needs to be dealt with, that could run up some $$$ fast.

Good luck !
Old 11-04-2004, 10:00 PM
jim912928
Racer

I agree with Evan...a 914 would be a great DE car. They are not overpowered so you can't really get yourself in trouble via the throttle...and they handle like gocarts...so you point it somewhere and that is where it goes!
Old 11-04-2004, 10:11 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

We are looking at a '72 2.0 that appears to be in great shape (at least in pics). New clutch, exhaust, tires and no rust or leaks (some weepage from the valve cover, not excessive). Delorto carbs, lightened fly, and a raveena green paint job. Anything I should look for this weekend when looking at this car in person?

Odometer stopped at 37,000 so I have no idea how many miles are on it. What is a fair price?
Old 11-04-2004, 10:20 PM
jim912928
Racer

The most problematic areas for rust on a 914 is the battery tray and below...the bad part is the rust that can occur below and under the battery tray (known as the hell hole)....battery acid can rust out that area which has the suspension connection points. Take some tools with you and loosen the bottom of the rocker panels (bottoms are bolted..tops are riveted) and pull them slightly back and look at the longitudinals...if these are rusted bad then you have structural problems. The jack point covers may be rusted but the longitudes can be fine..just poke around.

Those are the worst (or most expensive) parts to have to repair. Then look at the normal stuff, under the carpets, trunk floors etc.

As far as the price...go to borders/barnes & noble and get the November copy of Excellence magazine. The have a 914 market update section in this issue (you'll pay more for a good condition east coast car then the west coast cars just because of the rarity on this side of the country).

Jim
Old 11-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

And I agree with Jim ! As a side note, to find out on what more to look for, call or email one of our site sponsers, Apex Performance and talk to Matt and Jay. They seem to have a good handle on 914's. Check the thread about "shift Bushings" for more of their info. I pasted some of it here for you:

Rennlist Site Sponsor
Apex Performance Parts
www.apex-parts.com
jay@apex-parts.com

Also try a search, this has been covered alot and I am sure you will find a bunch of info on what to look for and how to check.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:08 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check out www.914club.com they are very helpful. A 914 would make a good de car but is alittle more difficult to drive than a 924/944. Thats my opinion, i race my 924s but plan to try out my 914 some more after doing some much needed improvements, one being the seats!
Old 11-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Personally, I think they are the best Porsches to learn on. I have a 1973 2.0 (stock engine) and I run it in Red and love it. Yeah, it is slow, but there is nothing better then catching people in the turns. Anyone can put their foot down on a straight, but it takes ***** to do it in the turn. And for that the 914 is perfect (and cheap too)! Best wishes - Jay Gratton

Quick Reply: 914 as DE car for beginner