Sponsored by:

2.0 oil pump leaking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 09:50 PM
kmhemi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0 oil pump leaking.

I just rebuilt my 2.0 motor. Ir runs great but I can't get the oil pump to stop leaking. It is a mellings high volume. It is only leaking when the engine is running so I think it's the pump cover. Is there suppose to be an O ring under the front cover or just the gasket??
Old 04-19-2004, 02:32 AM
Geoff
Advanced

there is a mod to do which is to install a o ring behind the main body to block. A small grove is added to hold the o ring. The problem is that the aluminum block expands at a different rate than the steel oil pump causing leaks. Also, did you grind off a small amount off the tang of the drive gear that goes into the cam? If not, these pumps are just alittle too long so that is what you have to do or the cover doesn't fit and the suckers blow oil.Geoff
Old 04-19-2004, 08:21 AM
kmhemi
Track Day

Default 914 oil pump leak

thanks for the reply. I did grind just a tad of the drive gear tab. Maybe I didn't go far enough..I just barely ground a little. I saw the tech article about fixing 914 oil pump leaks. I am going to check my case and see if it needs lightly sanded or not. Where can I find out more about the o ring mod you mentioned?

Quick Reply: 2.0 oil pump leaking.