Notices
912 Forum 1965-1969

66 Porsche 912 restoration project from Pakistan

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

great to see a project being built so far way!
Old 05-11-2017, 12:29 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

Attached Images     
Old 05-15-2017, 04:51 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default on lift

for floor rustproofing
Attached Images    
Old 05-22-2017, 03:48 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default the underbody

the underbody is being painted after the rustproofing and anti corrosion spray (3M)...i WANT IT TO LAST A COUPLE OF GENERATIONS...

my grandson visited yesterday and made a beeline for my SC targa ( at 18 months) and then the 1:198 scale models of my favourite cars including a series 1 e type FHC and a Daytona 365GTB...looks like my model collection will be wrecked before he grows up.

The colour has been decided and it was a toss up between Bahamas Yellow and signal yellow. decided on signal yellow. I hope the forum agrees

An oil based paint has been sprayed onto the underbody as in period... I did not want to leave it black.. easier to see mud when doing an underbody wash.

All the suspension bushes are here and the front suspension has been prepped with the steering . The suspension will be attached and then the car will be wheeled to the paint shop for final paint.

New brake lines have been ordered...initially from Pelican parts....on way from Dubai....friend is bringing them. The seal kits and front Konis are on the way form Ecklers.. nephew is bringing them from Philadelphia.

Finally a gratuitous photo of me operating on a child with a brain tumour... my day job
Attached Images       
Old 05-22-2017, 07:45 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Kamhus, can you import parts directly into Pakistan? Pelican is great but for alternative you can try type911shop.co.uk this is where I usually shop.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:28 PM
kamhus
Intermediate

Hi Yes we can import directly new parts into Pakistan. There is only one problem. Although the distance form the UK and USA / europe is the same as the UAE the shipping rates are three times. Plus the customs rates are 35 percent of Cost and Freight with a further 60 percent approximately added on as various local taxes.
It is much better to hand carry and smuggle... with someone in customs at the airport spoken to beforehand,,,, such are the stupidities of living with stupid governments. The government loses a huge amount of revenue due to customs corruption and the various go betweens and rent seekers that have arisen because of these punitive measures.
I would use type911 shop if it were not for the fact that they want some sort of identification by first order... a money transfer... so that they know the buyer is kosher and legal. Direct money transfer is not allowed from Pakistan
Old 05-23-2017, 06:53 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Kamhus I'd let the owner know about this verification thing. BTW, he is extremely helpful (will help identify or lookup parts or source them). I normally use Paypal, safe for both buyer and seller.

In regard to your Customs situation, same here in Indonesia, I use forwarding company that smuggle in bulk (container), cheaper than paying 50%+ import duties.

For body parts you may want to contact Shawn at Tru6 Design, he hangs out at Pelican forums, very nice and extremely helpful too. I got many body parts from him. He is willing to go above and beyond in packing & shipping parts.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:56 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default IN the paint area ready for the body finishing

teh suspension has been fitted and the car is lireally on four wheels now. I am going to keep the cookie cutters. Lend the car a more muscular stance
@jorijori... will be in touch with Type911... need a lot of finishing things
Attached Images    
Old 05-29-2017, 09:39 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Cookie cutters and yellow will look great.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:34 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default the final preparation...

small imperfections are being filled with copper as in the old days..the front fenders are being smoothed over and teh primer taken off to ensure removal of all rust... no acid dips or zinc dips available or we would go that way as well. Expense be danged................
Attached Images     
Old 05-30-2017, 03:38 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

You can see a 250SL pagoda in front and a w108 mercedes also being prepped. the Alfa GTV6 in the background.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:40 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default the ground is being prepared

the groundwork is being prepared with the puteen being put on prior to being sanded down. The exterior is being done separately form the interior... which has been done as well by now after the removal of the rust due to the atmospheric humidity.
Pictures of my targa taken last sunday. She has been sold...a friend made me an offer I could not refuse and as I have enjoyed her for the last six years time to let go. Needless to say the sale will finance the restoration of all the rest

Also needed to break the news of the rest of the cars to the better half including the 912 which she had some idea of but the GTV6 and an Alfa GT stepnose twinspark project...along with a Fiat spider.
And need space in the garage as well.
So now the classicgarage will have the follwing cars hopefully by year end
1. The Mini Cooper Vtec 1963
2. The Ford Cortina 1962
3. The Caterham 7 replcas X 2
4. The 912
5. The Alfa GTV6 1981
6. The Fiat Spider twin cam with twin webers 1978
7. The Alfa GT Stepnose 1966
Old 06-10-2017, 07:45 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default trying to upload pics... and its 46 celsius in the shade

pics later... firewall put due to the international ransomware threat preventing uploads
Old 06-19-2017, 02:24 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default interior rustproofing

further progress . going to be finally painted today.the interior has been rustproofed. Black... proofing but will go body colour. Signal yellow
Attached Images       
Old 06-19-2017, 01:15 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by kamhus
Also needed to break the news of the rest of the cars to the better half including the 912 which she had some idea of but the GTV6 and an Alfa GT stepnose twinspark project...along with a Fiat spider.
And need space in the garage as well.
So now the classicgarage will have the follwing cars hopefully by year end
1. The Mini Cooper Vtec 1963
2. The Ford Cortina 1962
3. The Caterham 7 replcas X 2
4. The 912
5. The Alfa GTV6 1981
6. The Fiat Spider twin cam with twin webers 1978
7. The Alfa GT Stepnose 1966
That is a nice list. Very eclectic batch of cars. I'm a big fan of webers DCOE's.

- Andrew

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Quick Reply: 66 Porsche 912 restoration project from Pakistan