912 Forum 1965-1969

66 Porsche 912 restoration project from Pakistan

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 01:37 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 66 Porsche 912 restoration project from Pakistan

Starting off another saga. This is from far off Pakistan... or in this interconnected world is this the here and now.

As a Porsche ad once said you never wait decades to own a mitsubishi or a Nissan... but you do wait for a Porsche. The first time I ever sat in a Porsche was in Bradford England in 1986 in a run down Porsceh 924... frankly it underwhelmed me. But all those SCs and turbos overtaking in the outside lane I always wanted one... then when I passed my postgraduate examination in Surgery ( the FRCS ) 1989 beinga admitted as a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons I decided to buy a 911sc. went to the Posrche Centre in Exeter.

There a fresh faced young am I allowed to called him an idiot in red trouser braces turned down my offer for a 12 year old repainted purple SC with sports seats with a sneer saying that he was not interested in a part exchange with my Nissan Silvia turbo.

I drove out of there and bought a Peugeot 2015 Gti 1.9 brand new which even then was iconic. Had many cars after taht but always hankered for a 911 coupe....then returned to Pakistan in 92 and got into the rat race....

A country with only one 911 turbo, three sc coupes and one 911 targa and millions and millions of toyotas and hondas and nissans

Then 6 years ago got a 911 Targa and did a mild restoration....but always wanted a coupe.... then a friend made me an offer I could not refuse for my Series 1 Alfa GTV1750 ( one of the two in the country ) . with most of the money being confiscated by the better halfb i decided to spend some on a car... no several cars a celica ta22 from 1973, an Alfa GTV6 from 1981 and now a GT Alfa . Someone told me of a 912 available ........and here it is.. an early 1966 three gauge coupe
Attached Images   
Old 12-18-2016, 03:59 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

. It has VW type 1 twin port engine.......all chromed-+ up and all that... a will put up pics of the engine bay.
I have to decide whether to get a 912 engine and up size it tio get more power or to keep the VW engine. I have no information about the twin port in the car but if the original owner or anyone with information sees this post info on the car would help a great deal. If the engine is a stroker engine I could keep it or maybe get a stroker kit... want about 180 bhp out of it....

Last edited by kamhus; 01-15-2021 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:02 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default car pics when on sale in LA

the engine pictures
Attached Images    
Old 12-18-2016, 04:40 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default gratuitous pictures of my other classics

some on the road and driven almost daily and others in various stages of restoration.
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (07-13-2020)
Old 12-22-2016, 08:53 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love your story. For reference or guidance you may want to contact Wachuko a member here who has built many many Porsches and I believe is building his 912.

Have you bought that 912 from BHCC? Does Pakistan allow import of user cars? Isn't Pakistan RHD? I too would like to get a 912 into Indonesia (no used car import) and I would buy one in good condition as it is cheaper than building one with the parts price keep going up not to mention freight costs.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:55 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default details

In reply to your questions.
yes .. car was obtained from BHCC. Its actually much worse than the initial pictures showed....I am just hoping the engine is better. Its having the floor pans replaced and then the sills and so on. Pics later
yes we are RHD but nowadays its easier to drive a LHD car as everyone is driving in the fast lane and the inside lanes are free...LOLZ
yes .. used cars over three years old cannot be imported.... this car came in on a scheme whereby used cars in the country at a certain time were allowed to be registered on payment of duty. Car slipped in..... in that period
Old 12-23-2016, 06:54 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Congrats on the car. Do you frequent Porsche forums? If you don't, you have to. Rennlist is not the main forum for early cars. You need to go to http://www.912bbs.org/ and http://www.early911sregistry.org/
those are US sites, UK site http://www.ddk-online.com/ Also you need to know where to get hard to find parts, definitely get in touch with Wachuko.

Japan is RHD country too but they prefer their Porsches in LHD. Driving position on LHD is perfect, your gas pedal is not offset like RHD cars.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:51 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default further progress of the 912

the floor pan replacement is proceeding quickly. the sill on the left has been replaced and work has started on the right. the rusted rotten area of the left fender has been cut out and smoothed over. Progress of sorts I suppoose.
Attached Images     
Old 01-17-2017, 04:05 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default the right sided sill

the right sill was rotten and is being replaced. The floors have already been done.
Attached Images    
Old 01-17-2017, 04:13 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

as one can see botched up repairs done earlier with patchwork. doing better this time aorund. the floors had steel riveted in with fibreglass to cover the cracks and holes and seams. all removed
Old 03-22-2017, 06:05 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default the bodywork continues

As the body work continues... more and more rust is being see. Not truly structural but certainly troubling. There are many places where new sheet metal was put in at some time in the past and simply riveted in... innovative to say the least
Attached Images     
Old 03-23-2017, 09:20 AM
jcslocum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a very ambitious project!!! Lots of rust to fix but it looks to be moving along at a good pace.

The VW engine can get to 180HP but the stock engine will struggle to reach that and then be very failure prone if it can get there at all. The 912 engine is also quite expensive to rebuild now so that is also a consideration.

BHCC has a reputation for not being 100% accurate in their descriptions and most stay a way. But, you have the car and are rescuing it!!

Nice collection of car, love the Cortina :-)
Old 03-23-2017, 09:37 AM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed...

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2017, 05:14 AM
Jersey_Sam
Instructor

Good job and good luck saving another one!
Thats me a dozen years ago and a dozen 912s ago!.
Let us know if you need anything, and also, check out the 912bbs.org, for lots of advice from there as well.

Sam
Old 04-19-2017, 04:09 AM
kamhus
Intermediate

Default progress ....almost all rust taken out

The body work is almost done. Just some rust being taken out of the rear inner arches.
the suspension has been taken off and the engine dropped. One of the pushrod tubes is bent and there was no oil in the engine probably for the car transport. want to get it sorted.Thank goodness the engines are simple and hopefully easy to fix.

Parts ordered from pelican parts... some from others. All suspension bits with for the moment rear KYB shocks. Will order front koni inserts later. Anyone know the least expensive source for Koni inserts for Boge struts???
Attached Images       

Quick Reply: 66 Porsche 912 restoration project from Pakistan