912 Forum 1965-1969

Down the 912 slippery slope

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:37 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
I predict this will be the most expensive free Porsche you will ever own, JD....
You may have an excellent point..?!! HA!!!

As well - the interior is stripped, sound deadening gone and this weekend, I hope to get the engine & suspension parts off the car...

My thanks!

John D.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:45 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to the club.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:58 PM
John D.
Banned

This week has been kind of silly for trying to do my real job (photographing real estate for Realtors), so I spent a few hours getting the 912 down to stripped tub. Honestly?

I don't think it's as bad as I thought originally - but - there are some huge areas that will need quite a bit of new metal fabrication and welding in either hand-made or pre-fabricated parts.

Affter a few hours today - here is where I am. this weekend, I'll pull the front windshield and finish stripping the dash/instruments. As well - probably pull the engine/tranny - and whatever else..

Here are some images:

Thanks for all the comments - and I'm looking foward to week #2 with this 912

John D.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

To quote Gretch "jeebus!" that is one heck of a restoration job you started. Oh, and I agree with Randy

Best,
Old 11-07-2014, 06:16 PM
John D.
Banned

Hi Bob.!

Many thanks! Actually - I'm having quite a bit of fun doing this - and as I've done a '73 and a '65 911 rebuild - the good news is, I know how it all comes apart...

However - sometimes - remembering how it all goes back together is a bit more problematic..?? HA!!

As well.....

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
....Oh, and I agree with Randy ...
Uhhh - ohhh... Now you've done it....!!

Best to you always - and thanks for all you do, Bob..!

John D.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:45 PM
YourFace
Spark-plug-girl
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John D.
Hi Bob.!

Many thanks! Actually - I'm having quite a bit of fun doing this - and as I've done a '73 and a '65 911 rebuild - the good news is, I know how it all comes apart...

However - sometimes - remembering how it all goes back together is a bit more problematic..?? HA!!

As well.....

Uhhh - ohhh... Now you've done it....!!

Best to you always - and thanks for all you do, Bob..!

John D.
Tip: take a quick picture with your Iphone before disassembling.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 PM
longhitv
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Same boat.

I just picked up a 912 practically free needing new floors, longitudinals and some other pieces.

A small charge for the transaxle and Engine.

Again, yours will be the most expensive cheap Porsche you will own

Looking forward to trading some war stories !!

The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (07-12-2020)
Old 11-14-2014, 10:12 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by longhitv

Sweet Project you got there
Old 11-15-2014, 05:40 PM
John D.
Banned

Well - here it is.. At the end of week three. I have a few issues before sending it to the restoration shop to media blast her - and I have to tell you - I don't know if she can be saved. The cancer is far more then I anticipated - in the inner fenders, in the structural parts in the front and in the floorpan. Anyway?

Here is what I have left before sending her to the blaster, which should be next week or two...

Engine needs to come out;
Finish pulling the wiring harness out;
Rear suspension needs to come out.

The front suspension dropped out fine today, but - I uncovered quite a bit of rust in the left front inner panel. The drivers side front floor pan is toast, as is the front trunk - and...

Here is where I am:

Best to all - and my thanks for your support!

John D.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I see it, and I get it.

It could be a daunting task but I can assure you that I have seen much worse many times restored back to greatness. I think all off the sheet metal you may need has been reproduced. So weigh your options. What will the end product mean to you? What will the end product cost? Is the value there? (with these cars skyrocketing I would say yes). Are you looking for a challenge?

Often times when the car comes back from media blasting little is left in tact. How do you think the metal that is there will fair?

Tell me what would make you stay the course. I have select body panels that I could donate to the project if that would tilt you one way or the other. There is something that tells me to keep persuading you. Something that tells me that you would adore this car. Something that tells me to have you save it.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:51 PM
John D.
Banned

You are awesome.... Simply? Thank you..!

Anyway - it was a long day today getting this old girl set to be blasted. I am still committed to do this - but, and as you know - this is not my first "rodeo" with a Porsche restoration - as I have my '65 911, my 914 (OMG! Lot's of RUST!), and my others.. But - this one is a little - umm - daunting"???

While I know how to weld, use lead as a filler (I *HATE* bondo? ) and can fabricate many parts - today, most front suspension attachment points are "gone"..

As well..? Here is a shot of the engine from last week.. That doesn't scare me too much, as I can rebuild what is there...

Anyway - just simply "THANK YOU"..

Here is the engine last week. Since this image - it's about to be dropped, and it is "uncovered" from the engine lid, etc..

My best and my thanks!

John D.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

You are awesome.... Simply? Thank you..!

Anyway - it was a long day today getting this old girl set to be blasted. I am still committed to do this - but, and as you know - this is not my first "rodeo" with a Porsche restoration - as I have my '65 911, my 914 (OMG! Lot's of RUST!), and my others.. But - this one is a little - umm - daunting"???

While I know how to weld, use lead as a filler (I *HATE* bondo? ) and can fabricate many parts - today, most front suspension attachment points are "gone"..

As well..? Here is a shot of the engine from last week.. That doesn't scare me too much, as I can rebuild what is there...

Here is the engine last week. Since this image - it's about to be dropped, and it is "uncovered" from the engine lid, etc..

My best and my thanks!

John D.
Was this car parked in the ocean??
Old 11-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

My best and my thanks!

John D.
I think with the fact that you have done a SWB previously (1965) then this will be familiar territory & only a small hurdle. Put together a parts list!

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Was this car parked in the ocean??
There is always a comedian in every group
Old 11-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

subscribed...and best wishes!!

I love these builds, 'the fixer''s 928 RS prototype and FLYVMO's empty shell are both amazing

this is one for the ages
Old 11-16-2014, 07:09 PM
John D.
Banned

Hi Michael and all..

My sincerest thanks! Today, it was wonderful - and I now have the interior, wiring and the front trunk/suspension out at the end of the day...

My son, John - came by - and we made short work of all of the "short list" on the dash parts... Then - a young 4 year old came by with his parents, as he wanted to assist.?? You are kidding...

That's what it is all about...

And the steering column tube is now out - last part from the dash before it is sent to the restoration blaster...

Here we go.... And thank you Dylan!!

John D.

Quick Reply: Down the 912 slippery slope