idiot lights and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 12:14 AM
Geckodad
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post idiot lights and other questions

Hello,

I am in the process of looking for my first Porsche. I looked at a 1968 912 last night that was a very nice car, in fact it sold in 24 hr from first being listed. This was the first car I have looked at so I wasn't sure about many things and didn't want to make a costly mistake so I held off until I could have a mechanic look it over...

The oil pressure idiot light would come on at idle (~750-800 rpm) and go off as rpm increased above idle. Is this acceptable or idicator of low oil pressure and possible serious problems?

Also, the generator idiot light glowed faintly pretty much all the time. Again, is the acceptable or a possible serious problem?

The car was imported from Germany by the first owner who had the orig 4 spd trans swapped for a 5 spd, and smog parts added to meet CA emissions standards. An electric sunroof was also added. The sunroof looked orig it was done so well. Is it a plus to have these things done since they were apparently done very well or is it a detraction since they were not stock?

Still looking and learning,

Craig
Old 08-19-2001, 07:34 PM
Blake_1
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Craig-
I have a '68 912 also, and am familer with some of the problems you listed. First of all, I was having the some thing with the oil pressure light comming on at idle. Before I could look into it, the oil pressure valves went out, and caused the oil cooler to blow. So I would deffinatly caution looking into the problem before you buy a car where the oil light is on at idle. It could be less serious, even just low on oil, but deffinatly look into it. As for the generator light, it will sometimes come on if you have to many electrical things on at the same time. Like if Im driving with the lights on, and the sterio it ok, but when I put a blinker on, or hit the brakes, it will come on faintly. Make sure the fan belt is nice and snug, if its loose that could be part of the problem. Good luck in your search for a 912.
Blake
'69 912

Quick Reply: idiot lights and other questions