912 Forum 1965-1969

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 05:29 AM
Mummygeek
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spark Plugs

I'm about to treat my '69 912 coupe to a new Distributor (RSR0012) and Beru Leads and have ordered some sparks too. But Bosch W6BC are no longer found anywhere so I've been offered Bosch WR6BC as an alternative.
Can anyone vouch for these or should I go with NGK B6HS?

I have found the NGK's new on ebay with Marine grade written all over them - are these useable?

Pretty basic questions but I have to start somewhere
Thanks.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:21 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mummygeek
I'm about to treat my '69 912 coupe to a new Distributor (RSR0012) and Beru Leads and have ordered some sparks too. But Bosch W6BC are no longer found anywhere so I've been offered Bosch WR6BC as an alternative.
Can anyone vouch for these or should I go with NGK B6HS?

I have found the NGK's new on ebay with Marine grade written all over them - are these useable?

Pretty basic questions but I have to start somewhere
Thanks.
Mum,
I've been able to (recently) buy W6BCs at my local Napa and from Performance Products. I've used both NGK and Bosch with very goods results. I'm going to double check the NGK part # and get back to you.

Brgds, Peter
Old 11-15-2006, 09:15 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

I have had good experiences with both bosch and NGK. some people and mechanics have their own experiences and preferences though. some love one, and hate the others. and like alot of stuff on these old cars, the topic can create as much controversy and push hot buttons like religion or politics. One well trusted mechanic (one of the few i would ever trust my car to) who i went to was upset that i was using NGK's when i had a tune up done and was adimant that i shouldnt use them because they are not as good, or not as reliable (according to him). he said that NGK stood for 'no good kind'.

i think both work well, its just a matter of preference. just make sure to get the right kind with out the extended tips (cause they will hit the pistons). i dont have the parts numbers on me.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Mummygeek
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up just to update you...

Bosch WR6BC are exactly the same spec as W6BC only they are, if you like, a newer version with an integral resistor.
Have fitted them and they are perfect.

I'm in spain and they have BERU mostly - according to their conversion charts a Z48 plug is the BERU equivalent.

Distributor was really straight forward. Now to the CARBS .....
Old 11-29-2006, 12:14 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mum,

Interestingly enough, I ran a set of NGK B6HS plugs for one week / one track day and the ride home and they fouled. I have never fouled a set of Bosch W6BC ever. I have a Crane Cams Hi-6 ignition & Coil with Pertronix trigger and would suspect fouled plugs would be a rarity. My mixture is right on so go figure. I'm sticking with Bosch.
Brgds, Peter

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs