Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hello '912 is one more than 911'

Hi everybody,

Just thought I'd introduce myself.

Peter Baldauf
1967 (built Sept. 66) 912
NPR 1720
weber 40's (32mm venturi's 140mains v-stacks etc... blah blah)
bursch headers exhaust
Bosch 050
Crane Cams flame thrower optical ign.
rotary f. pump (silent )
Rapid cool
remote filter

located in Suffield, CT

Dad bought in 67 as a 'family car' well, relative to everything else he was looking @..... it had back seats Oh how practical, hey Mom bought it. Anyway drove it into the ground, blew it up a couple of times and parked it . After 5 years dormant, I was 15 yrs old drooling for a car, we rebuilt the engine (with none of the goods listed above) leaky solexes, worn out dist, leaky exh the thing was poping and backfiring like crazy...... perfect. Oh did I mention it was rotted to the ground too??? Anyway, as fate would have it, while studying @ UCONN, ran into Matt Mcginn, fellow student, future roomate and aspiring body man now has his own shop www.sports-car-restoration.com in Plantsville, CT and God father to my children. On a modest College student income managed to restore her to her former glory. In many ways better than new. Sold my R5 & 65' VW bus, bought all the go fast (and safe) bits and have autocrossed and tracked it exclusively for some 9 years without one major mechanical problem. 2001 CSP champ in Alabama!! Now I have a great time @ Lime Rock DE events and look forward to going to NHIS / Watkins Glen. Chassis has approx. 500,000 miles on it as do many of the original parts still in use. Mind boggling reliability. Now I'm 32 and have owned many many cars including 69 911 E / 83 911 sc / 88 944 turbo S / and currently a 88' carrera cab shares the garage with 'MAX' I tracked all those other cars and none were as fun, period. So the 912 endures, and those who look down their nose @ this poor little under powered car, well if they don't get it..... it's their loss. I just laugh as I eat 15 car lengths on the 993 TT going into Big Bend

Keep the faith, see ya @ the track.

Brgds, Peter
Old 11-26-2005, 11:00 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Peter, great post, thanks for sharing!
Old 11-26-2005, 12:10 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Great story!!

youre right, there are those of us that get it, and then there is everone else. I have had mine since i was 17, and have been fixing it up, driving it during the summers, and enjoying it as much as i can (even drove cross country 3 times in it). Im 25 now, and will always have it. This year i treated mein 912 to a rebuild by one of the best, Duane Spencer.

1720 shasta pistons and cylinders
6810-19 cam grind (about 288* duration)
aluminum oil cooler
full flow oil filter
mainly custom by design sump plate with drain plug for easier oil changes
classic and speed parts aluminum light weight crank pully (same dia. as stock but much lighter to protect the nose of that crank! also is marked in degrees)
stock late 912 crank ground to 1 under
stock late 912 rods
stock valves, springs etc
stock heads
solex pII 40 split shaft carbs, k&n air cleaners, velocity stacks
stock fly wheel
050 dist. (will have Don Marks Rebuild my 031 this winter)
ceramic coated bursch
balanced

when these engines are built right and the cars set up right, they will take on just about anything on the auto-x -they're lighter, better weight distribution, and its still a secret, cause no one else gets it!! some say underpowerwed, i sayd its a different kind of power, cause they are certainly not slow!!

have you checked out the 912 Registry yet? we have a great group of guys in new england. Most of the 912ers post on www.912bbs.org you should check it out sometime.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:32 PM
SandyI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What would you esimate your engine HP at? And your car's weight?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:39 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

mine? similar engines (with same cam, crank, rods, pistons/cyl's, exhuats, carbs, aircleaners etc.)have made 127 at the flywheel (about 87 at the wheels), so i would say in that ball park. mine is a little bit different than those, they had chromolly push rods, dual valve springs w/ titanium keepers. my push rods, and springs are stock, but those wouldnt really increase hp, just make it stronger for harder driving conditions like racing. i dont race mine, and i dont auto-x mine that much, maybe once or twice a year if that. the cam grind on mine is unique (its the same specs as tim berradelli's custom cam grind, but this was ground by john benton), and really makes a huge difference -in these engines cams do more than you can immagine in regards to performance, but ballance is probably the most important thing. stock hp is about 95 at the flywheel. weight is stock.. thats gonna change eventually.

what kinda cam do you guys run?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother has a '76 912E (in my avatar, only it is really dark green I photoshopped it). He's had the car since he turned 16, now he is 24. His car too went through a rebuild and now runs dual webers (swapped out the FI system as the throttle boot split and a replacement could not be found at the time). He also uses a Webcam performance cam (don't recall the grind). It is a quick car. I remember him beating my father's lap times at DE's in the mid 90s (father was in a '93 Mitsu 3000GT VR-4). The 944S I owned was faster than the 912, but not quicker on the track by any means. The 912's have such a nimble and agile feel to them which makes driving them lovely. I plan to own one too someday.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:31 AM
james.C
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, hope you guys don't mind me coming in here, but I'm a college student and addicted to Porsche's as well, looks like I'm at where you guys were 10 years ago!

Are these good cars for a first Porsche? I'm an Engineering major and would love to learn how to get in and do the maintaince myself, only problem is I have no money to afford a 912, though they do seem to be much cheaper than their 6-cylinder counter part. Though in time I hope to buy one.

Cheers to a great community,
Old 12-12-2005, 03:02 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Hey James! 912 is a great entery porsche. if youre serious, i suggest visiting www.912bbs.org and www.912registry.org
Old 12-12-2005, 10:52 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harry your motor is about the same as mine in HP items. I have the extras that make them last a bit longer at high RPMs but I would bet that you motor would pull in the same ballpark as mine did when it was fresh. I recorded 98 HP on avg at the wheels on 5 pulls on the dyno and all right around the same #s
288 deg cam, 9.4 to 1 comp, webbers, slightly lightned flywheel, Scat crank, stock rods, Shasta P&Cs, stock heads, Isky double springs and Ti caps, stock valves. 6 hard years of track and the bottom end is still good to go. The top end is over ready for a rebuild and will be done this winter. I flog it on the track and use 6800 as a red line.

This little car will and does hand it to a 911 now and then but it will also get it's doors pulled off on the straights.

Sounds like you have yourself a nice ride take care but be sure to have some fun.

912s can cost almost as much to build and care for as a 911. The motors are much less trouble to work on and can have good power to weight.

Last edited by kurt M; 12-13-2005 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Hello '912 is one more than 911'