912 Forum 1965-1969

1969 Porsche 912 - $18k "invested"...asking price $8k

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 12:18 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1969 Porsche 912 - $18k "invested"...asking price $8k

Is this a deal? Car is silver with new tires. I don;t know much else (I'll check it out in person in the next day or so).
Old 07-05-2004, 12:38 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

car is silver.. new tires. for 8k.. not very descriptive. to be honest 18k can go pretty quickly in any porsche.

ok..

what was the 18 k spent on. and who did the work.

engine? who built the engine? is it a reputable engine builder or some guy working at home? was it completely balanced and maped, heads fly cut, engine honed and bored and balanced? what kind of pistons and cylinders? .. details on the engine (im assuming thats where some of the money went to....). what kinda carbs?

how is the body? who did the work? rust? paint? interior? california car or alabama car? how has it been stored and cared for?

suspension? new bushings? what has been done to suspension and brakes?

8k is the avg price for an avg good condition 912 these days. 15k is an excellent car. 20k+ is mint, all original concourse car. the more original it is the more valuable it is.

is it worth 8k?? i have no clue, being silver, having new tires, and having 18k spent on it tells us nothing. depends on how the car is, and where the 18k was spent and who did what to the car. so with that being said, check it out and give us some more info.

no matter what though.. have it properly checked out and a ppi done by a porsche mechanic who knows 912s and 356 engines. (btw.. do not take it to the same mechanic who has done work on the car. you want an unbiased oppinion of the car!)

if its a good car, its about the avg going rate. if its a bastard.. run.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:24 AM
Sean
Drifting

Okay, thanks for your detailed reply based upon my scant info. It is helpful to hear the general market values you mention.

To be more descriptive, I got a phone call tonight from a friend... he told me he saw a nice looking 912 for sale. The above info was just about all he knew. He knows I'm a Porsche guy and always in the market for a deal. I will check out the car over the next day or so, and post photos if it looks to be worth further inquiry. I'm not very knowledgeable about the 912, but they are great looking cars!
Old 07-05-2004, 07:37 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

check out https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=137534

i started somewhat of a buyers guide there of what to look for.

carbs are delortos on the 912 engine there.. in all reality they should have webbers or even better solex's (which will look different air cleaner wise). find out what kind this car has..
4-5k will be rough workable, running project car (but then again they are all projets!) 6-7k is good (avg car). .. 8-10k great 10-18k excellent 18 up will be mint, perfect concorse car.. these are the rates they have been going at in recent mos..
they keep going up.

here was last years value guide..

http://www.912registry.org/faqs/value.htm

also most of us post on www.912bbs.org
Old 10-05-2004, 03:39 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

hoffman912

"...engine? who built the engine? is it a reputable engine builder or some guy working at home? was it completely balanced and maped..."

First off... what is "maped"? Never heard that term before with respect to engine building other than the term "mapped" which refers to mappign an FI setup.

Next... I know quite few Porsche enine builders personally that are not "known engine Porsche engine builders" that are probably better than 90% of the "known engine builders" out there. Most of the known engine builders, what ever that means, are people that market their services out there. 1/2 of those are a joke. The other 1/2 are good. Then there are those that have been doing it for many many years for private race teams, race prep shops, and for friends... and it's these guys that are probably amoungst the best of them out there.

In short, I wouldn't put too much weight in the fact that a "known engine builder" rebuilt an engine. I'd rather put my money on a compression and leak down test which says a ton more about the builder than the name they do business under.

The key is the machine shop that does the machine work (which constitues 99% of what makes a known engine builder good.. or any engine builder for that matter).

TonyG
Old 10-06-2004, 11:17 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffman912
the more original it is the more valuable it is.
My car is worthless!

Quick Reply: 1969 Porsche 912 - $18k "invested"...asking price $8k