912 Forum 1965-1969

turbo tie rod adjustment on 912

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 03:04 PM
gt3fast
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default turbo tie rod adjustment on 912

My post is in bold on the bottom of the page, also underlined. I copied and pasted the below fix it for the problem I'm having changing steering wheels on my 912, this was posted on the 993 thread. Can someone help with answers to my questions, or with pictures?

Originally Posted by Garth S View Post
Well, here is some feedback . My wheel was also slightly off center after a recent alignment, and I centered it by doing the following:

From underneath, with a very small flat file ( the 4-5" gunsmith file kits are cheap & invaluable) run a light score across 1 of the 6 'hex' corners on the inner tie rod. This is 17mm, and you have now made one of two reference points! Jump across the 22mm locknut to the threaded rod of the outer tie rod half ... and drag the file lengthwise across the threads exactly in line with the score on the hex point.
These two 'shiny' marks reference the correct toe-in ... and allow you to return there even if one screws up.
With flat wrenches, counter hold the 17mm and loosen the 22mm nut. To adjust, one turns the inner 17mm hex in reference to the marked outer tie rod. The outer rod has a thread pitch of 1.5mm and 1/6 of a turn equates to ~10mm movement on the circumference of the steering wheel provided one side is lengthened exactly the same amount the opposing side is shortened!!
To rotate the steering wheel position clockwise, the left tie rod must be shortened .... and the right lengthened

I know this thread is old, but it is relevant. I bought a vdm wheel for my 912. It is either too far left, or too far right, as I try to adjust it on the spline. I need to adjust the toe. I'm not fully understanding where to mark the two marks as described by this post. Also, it reads, " To rotate the steering wheel position clockwise, the left tie rod must be shortened, and the right one lengthened. Is the left one considered the one as your sitting in the car looking out? Or, is the left one considered being outside the car looking at the hood head on?
I believe mine are turbo tie rods, as they have the long boot on them going to the rack. Do I pull the boot back to get to hex nuts to adjust?
Thanks