Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

question for all you Turbo owners...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Saakey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile question for all you Turbo owners...

Hi by the way...I’m sort of new here...I've been on the regular 911 list (in the past). I own a '80SC myself...but have always, and as of late, been really dieing for a 930...mainly a '79..However, wouldn't pass on an 86 and up if the price was right -for my wallet ;-). But my question is this; do you guys find yourself rebuilding your motors a lot soon then a normally aspirated motor? I say this because every time I mention to my friend, that I want one, he goes on about how I don't want one, you will be rebuilding a lot, etc, etc...and he works for a Porsche/BMW repair shop (not as a mechanic, but manager)...so I’m torn, and want to hear it from the horse's mouth..so to speak. Thanks for your help.
Jason
'80SC
Old 11-07-2003, 03:39 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am a new owner and did quite a bit of research before buying. From what I read, the 930 if maintained correctly is just as reliable as the non-turbos. I could be wrong, but if so, don't tell me. Ignorance is bliss
Old 11-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Lomotpk
Instructor

I think the difference, and reason for a more frequent rebuild is the turbo, how it works, and how it's used.

The best description is that it's like having a second gas pedal. So people that like to floor it, like the fact that turbo's give you a two-stage kick in the pants. When the turbo kicks in, by design it ups the pressure and stress on various components, likewise it causes the RPM's to shoot-up at a faster rate.

Now that said, the boys in the lab-coats knew this when they built them and made some compensations, like lower compression, tougher parts, etc.

I'm sure the people closer to engines and rebuilds (stephen, et.al.) will chime in with the correct answer, but I thought I'd throw in some topics for consideration.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:31 PM
87turbo930
Advanced

the thing that will kill any turbo motor, regardless of who makes it is heat, and its even worse for an air cooled engine. Keep the oil temps down as much as possible. Switching to a ball bearing turbo would probably extend the life a good amount because there will be a lot less stress on the oil in the engine, there are a lot of other benefits to a bal bearing turbo but thats always a big reason, besides all the performance benefits
Old 11-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Saakey
Advanced

Great...I'm learning more already...keep 'em coming. It's getting interesting. So far, i'm not so worried about buying a turbo. I like to think i'm a good driver, and fairly mechanically inclined (will try my own work first-sort of guy)...and only if people start chiming in that their cars are always giving them trouble, i'm sold...(so far
Old 11-07-2003, 05:03 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

I think 80,000 - 120,000 miles would be normal for a well maintained reasonably drive 930. One of the tightest feeling 930s I test drove was an 87 with almost 130K on it. That being said, the PPI shop though a rebuild was in the near future ($12,000 just for a basic rebuild back to factory spec). These engines will not last like the Carrera 3.2 and SC 3.0 engines that can go 200,000 - 300,000 miles or more in some cases.

The good thing about 930s (or bad, depending on your point of view) is that Porsche left a ton of performance on the table and modern technology also adds a lot to these cars. So, many 930 owners literally cannot wait for a rebuild as it gives them an excuse to dramatically improve their car.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Saakey
Advanced

Unhappy

say what...$12,000 for a rebuild
Old 11-07-2003, 05:56 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Yep - 10-12K is what I was quoted. You figure a rebuild of a 3.2 Carrera engine is in the 6-8K range.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:39 PM
p.vanderlinden
Racer

I think the Turbo motor expense thing is because we all get seriously hooked on HP, and that can cost big buck$. Some of us look for any excuse to tear into our engine and of course once you are into it, you might as well add something to the package like bigger pistons or cams or a new turbo.

Also Turbo owners have to spread that expensive maintanance myth to help keep the cost of used Turbo's down cause you never know when your going to add to your stable.

Cheers, Paul V
Old 11-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Eric 930
Instructor

The problem with turbos is that most people tend to drive them a little harder because their so explosive and that rush is addictive. The engine life directly relates to how hard its drove. The heads on these cars take the most abuse do the higher level of heat created by the turbo. These engines have a lower compression ratio so in theory if you never got in the boost the engine would out last a 3.0 or 3.2 na motor. But what fun is that. Theres nothing like a turbo. They look great, easy to modify, and for the most part they are very reliable. I heard the same things before I bought mine, and I would'nt trade it for anything! Well maybe 94 3.6 turbo. Well theres my two cents, I say buy it you'll love it.

Eric

79 930
Old 11-07-2003, 10:55 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just like quicksand. The deeper you go in, the tougher it is to come out. It's worth that every extra cent.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:14 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A typical rebuild should the valves be in good order and going down to the case with what we call the master kit of parts is typically 6500.00. Now the cost like ZCat comes from the sickness called Horsepoweritis. This is a serious condition that is usually the second stage of "havetohavemoreitis" From there the disease runs rampant. You figure if you have it open it is so easy to add just a little here and there. Before to long you are full tilt. I have been a victim many times. LOL, ok I am still not cured and have the sickness.

All joking aside a 930 motor can start to see problems as early as 50K with bad guides etc. I normally see motors from about 60-120K in for service. The most I have seen was a 130K untouched, unmodified motor. The valves were spent and the exhaust studs and oil lines not to mention every seal in the motor was shot and or cooked. Modified to the gills one could assume that 50K is the mark.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:40 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ZCAT3
The good thing about 930s (or bad, depending on your point of view) is that Porsche left a ton of performance on the table and modern technology also adds a lot to these cars. So, many 930 owners literally cannot wait for a rebuild as it gives them an excuse to dramatically improve their car.
Heh heh. Do you resemble that remark?
Old 11-10-2003, 10:53 AM
Ken From KLA Industries
Instructor

WOW, 10K or more? I had my 80 930 rebuilt by one of the best wrenches in the nation for 7K. That included C2/C4 grind cams to better fit the K27. When it was completed it had some great dyno numbers. Oh yes, I had it done because the case was starting to leak at 107K miles. I still had 4 bar oil pressure and it ran great. Like everyone else here said, I was a HP junkie and wanted to get more. Be very careful of what you wish for. You just might get it, I did.

Before you decide to get more HP though, keep in mind that your car will then be a ****-AIM-FIRE and hold on for the ride. You better be pointing at where you want to go because you are going to get to where you are pointing in a real hurry. My car has over 400 LB/FT so the saying "GET IN, SIT DOWN, SHUT UP and HOLD ON" does apply.

Ken
Old 11-10-2003, 11:05 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ken,
10K for a turbo upgrade and cam upgrade to an overall rebuild is not high and in fact probably low if you do the appropriate replacements when building the motor. Making HP is one thing, making it reliably is another and finding a tuner that will warranty like builds for a year is unheard of....with the exception of Ruf, and me . Keep in mind that not all rebuilds are created equal right down to the tin that gets reconditioned to the new oil pressure switches that you didn't even think would have been an issue.

Last edited by PorschePhD; 11-10-2003 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: question for all you Turbo owners...