Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

question for all you Turbo owners...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Saakey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*big gulp*...uh, thanks everyone for your responses. Now I must say i feel a bit more nervous about going into this...especially when buying used. Obviously I would have the car checked first, but when i see one that says only 70,000miles on it and never been rebuilt, i can (pretty much) expect to start saving my penny's (or in this case, my dollars) on a rebuild right around the corner...So ideally, the best used one would be one that's just been rebuild (with receipts to prove). Thanks guys!
Old 11-10-2003, 11:45 AM
Ken From KLA Industries
Instructor

Stephen,

I appreciate the info. I guess I got a good deal on my rebuild. We went with C2/C4 grind cams, new chain tensioners, all bearings, heads massaged, new valves, valves guides, springs, keepers, rings, plasma coated pistons, etc. I already had the K27 and intercooler. The only item we did not tear into was the fuel system. I got a one-year warranty for anything “other than over rev.”. I have driven the car now for two years and it is tight as a drum.

I love the result.

Ken
Old 11-10-2003, 01:02 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

On the upside the cost of ownership of our 930's is lower than that of a 928
Old 11-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Saakey: Porsche engineers do an excellent job of building the turbo (air-cooled is what I'm focused on) motor - in terms of getting the heat and pressure issues right. Turbo motors add significant heat and pressure than the n/a engines.

So I agree with ZCAT that a well maintained stock 930 can last 80-120 K assuming it has not been beaten up.

If an owner (as many owners do) alters the factory heat / pressure balance by modifying the turbos, the wastegate spring, bigger pistons/cylinders, etc. etc., the life of the engine (because of the greater heat and pressure strains) tend to decrease.

If you want more hp, you can get it. But be sure to build the "safeguards" around the increased hp - such safeguards include second oil cooler, bigger intercooler, fuel enrichment, twin-plugging to name a few. '

Keep the pressure at a reasonable setting (north of 1.0 bar and many posters here will raise their eyebrows, in many cases) and a modified 930 a) will be tons and tons of fun and b) can last a good long time (depending on driving habits).

ZCAT has a very well done 930. Lots of hp and lots of safeguards and he doesn't abuse it either. I'd trust what he has to say.

Good luck. Have fun.

Dan
Former modified '89 930 3.4 owner
Old 11-11-2003, 12:19 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Argh, done my fair share of 928s....never again. The older the better in that car!!

Ken,
There are so many little difference that make a bullet proof motor. Things from the type of valves, springs, rod bolts, headstud, type of head work and even who does your cams. All will add up rather fast if you use nothing but top notch equipment. There are always alternatives to each part.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:32 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Ken From KLA Industries
WOW, 10K or more? I had my 80 930 rebuilt by one of the best wrenches in the nation for 7K.
Who?

Originally posted by Saakey
*big gulp*...uh, thanks everyone for your responses. Now I must say i feel a bit more nervous about going into this...especially when buying used. Obviously I would have the car checked first, but when i see one that says only 70,000miles on it and never been rebuilt, i can (pretty much) expect to start saving my penny's (or in this case, my dollars) on a rebuild right around the corner...So ideally, the best used one would be one that's just been rebuild
The problem with that is, would you want to give away a ten grand rebuild for nothing? You seldom see 930's for sale with a recent rebuild because adding in very much of the cost prices it way above the rest of the market. You probably should budget for a clutch though. 70k miles is a long-lived clutch, especially on a 4 speed.

Originally posted by Dan89_930
Former modified '89 930 3.4 owner
The Ruf has left the building, eh?

Quick Reply: question for all you Turbo owners...