Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Questions on bringing a car back to life!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 07:17 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Questions on bringing a car back to life!!!

Hey everyone, i have a few questions. Say you found an 87 or 88 930 cab with good paint, great interior, and rediculously low miles- but it hasnt been driven in a LONG TIME . What would be an average price to pay?

Secondly, what kind of restoration work would be needed to bring it up to good running condition. Doesnt have to be concours perfect or race ready, just good running condition. Waht are some average prices too. What can be done myself as well. (with help from a mechanic friend) I know 944s, but have never really put time into learning the 911 series.

Can anyone help me out! Thanks!
Old 11-15-2003, 12:53 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this.
I bought an '86 that was a little rough but running with plans to bring it up to better than new performance. Money got tight and got put on the back burner - for abt 4 years...

I did a lot of research before I started in. Most folks agree that these cars are fairly resilient if not dogged or mistreated. I got lucky. Once I got it running it has run fairly well with one notable exception....

I flushed the fuel system - old fuel tends to gum up the CIS FI. Fresh Mobil One, plugs, wires, fixed some static oil leaks and fired it up. It seems to do better the more I drive it.

The exception with mine seems to be a sticking piston in the fuel head. It is sporadic and frustrating. Fortunately a shop has recently appeared that not only can rebuild these (I don't think you can buy a new one..), but modify them to work better with other upgrades. I'll be doing this soon, as I've got a clutch replace/tranny rebuild coming very quickly.

I'm not a pricing expert but nice cabs still bring a decent price. Depends on how long that one sat and the condition before it was parked. 1-3 yrs not bad IMO. 6 years or more might be hit or miss....
Old 11-15-2003, 02:00 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car was in perfect condition before but into storaged. The owner had more than one toy in the pen. This one just got the backburner for other stuff. What would replacing all the engine seals cost?

Quick Reply: Questions on bringing a car back to life!!!