Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003 | 04:17 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Default 930 shifting problems

So can you F**K up your transmission if you try to shift a 930 too fast??? It appears this is the case with myself to some degree, just wondering what you all think.

Brent
Old 10-16-2003 | 07:05 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

That is my understanding. Our tranny's like a nice casual shift. Short shifters aggravate the situation (by helping you move faster).

John
Old 10-16-2003 | 11:43 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

To be honest I have never destroyed or damaged a 930 tranny. They take serious abuse and more times then not the synsros are the issue, not what you dealt with.
Old 03-12-2010 | 11:31 AM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

I thought about installing a Wevo or Seine shifter, but spoke with couple of guys locally who owns 930 and was told they will not recommend short shifters for 930 due to early failure of the tranny.

Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-12-2010 | 12:37 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Rick, keep in mind the age of this gearbox, and the fact that the synchronizers will wear out, causing some difficult shifting. The 930 gearbox is a very durable animal, but it still need maintaining from time to time.

I would get it rebuilt with new synchros, seals and bearings, and I think that you will find that it will be perfect once again for you.

Let me know if I can help at all,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com
Old 03-13-2010 | 12:58 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

The WEVO is not a short shifter. It is a precise shifter. It aligns the shifter up with the linkage so that you can make a crisp precise shift. I suppose you could ram it into a gear that may be faster than the tranny would like but that is not the design of the shifter. Once you have used a WEVO you will never understand why Porsche with all of the German reputation for engineering couldn't have come up with something similar. I have used the analogy before but it is like shooting a revolver by double action ie, pulling the trigger and letting it **** the hammer or you cocking the hammer and then pulling the trigger.
If you have ever done both you will know how one is very prcise and effortless and the other is long and mechanical. Having said that the 930 tranny is not a speed shifting friendly tranny. It is a rugged design but the syncros and dogs are not a new design.
Old 03-16-2010 | 10:39 PM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

I broke a selector fork doing a slam change from 2nd to 3rd while not having a drag with a Testarossa. I would like to add I did not lose the drag I didn't have. At the next set of lights after taking off and going from 1st to 2nd the shifter would move into the 3rd slot but would not engage the gear. It would however still shift to 4th.
It was worth the broken selector to beat the Ferrari.
Old 03-17-2010 | 04:14 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DeWolf
I broke a selector fork doing a slam change from 2nd to 3rd while not having a drag with a Testarossa. I would like to add I did not lose the drag I didn't have. At the next set of lights after taking off and going from 1st to 2nd the shifter would move into the 3rd slot but would not engage the gear. It would however still shift to 4th.
It was worth the broken selector to beat the Ferrari.
Surely you meant not beating the Ferrari in your nonexistant drag? This all must have been a surealistic day dream you were having about what it would be like to "engage" a Testa. (BTW, "engage" is a word I once used to explain to the officer what I was doing with that other car on the road).
Old 03-18-2010 | 04:04 AM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Surely you meant not beating the Ferrari in your nonexistant drag? This all must have been a surealistic day dream you were having about what it would be like to "engage" a Testa. (BTW, "engage" is a word I once used to explain to the officer what I was doing with that other car on the road).
LOL
Old 03-19-2010 | 11:34 PM
mcguff73
Track Day

when I bought my 930 it had a weak 2nd gear synchro that drove me crazy- it required a very slow shift to prevent grinding. $5000 later and its pretty good but junk compared to a modern day car. Apparently, a Wevo is the magic fix but if you have the climate control like my '86, I'm told it wont fit. I think the problem with a stock setup lies with the spaghetti noodle shifter, and not the tranny, but new synchros and sliders make a big difference.
Old 03-29-2010 | 01:29 PM
JOHNNYWISHBONE
AutoX

hello, just joined. been on pelican. wife went on vacation. youngest son snivveled, needs another car. i like him. he gives me grandsons. so, i gave him my wifes' car. she comes home. takes my car. she's
bigger than i am. bottom line, 1978 930 is now my daily driver. the day after tomorrow, it's getting a
WEVO and swepco 201. felt like trans good, linkage working ok but weak. if you like, i post my impressions. take care, jp
Old 03-29-2010 | 02:46 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I think about the only item you can really damage unless you screw-up big time and do a 4-1 downshift or something similar are the synchros, and dog rings. Shafts and such seem almost indestructable. Usually it's the 2-3 set that cause problems first. They don't like to be "speed shifted" like an American car could. The 930 likes to be blipped on up and downshifts to match revs. Once you learn to either double-clutch it or heel-toe thay seem almost indestructable.

Quick Reply: 930 shifting problems