market price check

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 02:40 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default market price check

930 braintrust,

i have an opportunity to bid first on a private sale 57k miles guards red 930 in excellent running condition, good to very good paint quality, and very acceptable interior. no ppi done on the vehicle yet.

i've driven it--car pulls well, no obvious mechanical issues--some notes: the clutch pedal is very hard and it can be a bit difficult to shift into first from stop--normal for a 915 tranny vs need for clutch replace? the speedometer isn't reading properly, and the brake light on the dash lights up intermittently.

anyhow, ballpark, where would the market experts place this car's purchase price? the car belongs to a friend, so we are trying to find a "fair" price for both seller and buyer in an amicable way.

thanks in advance!
Old 05-24-2016, 07:35 AM
ljpviper
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

930s either have a 4 speed or G50-50(89). My 86 4 speed clutch was not too bad.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:58 AM
Antny930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What model year?
Old 05-24-2016, 11:36 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Old 05-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Antny930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so what I'm seeing on the East coast is a general leveling off in prices for these cars. My 1984 (euro model, so rare, higher hp, more aggressive suspension, etc) and is near perfect, 35,000 miles...has been on the market for a few months at $139k. I've had offers in the very low 6 figures. So let's say $100,000 is the "current value" for a perfect 911 Turbo. One with higher miles, needing either clutch or tranny work, ok paint, not as perfect all around....let's say it's worth a bit more than half that? $55,000-75,000? Depending on a PPI? Guess my guesstimate without laying eyeballs on it.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:53 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Is the clutch biting? May not be a stock clutch. Stock clutch is very easy to manipulate.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:52 AM
Saoirse32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough to say, but ballpark, I'd say $110k or so. I've noticed the market seems to have "leveled off" which is good for really any market. However, the clean, honest West Coast examples, especially in Southern California, still command a premium. Mine is basically an heirloom at this point (lol) and I have no plans to ever sell but it was on the lot while I was grabbing lunch at my local shop and had many onlookers who passed by other beautiful Porsches to check out mine. Although it's not for sale, there have been two foreign buyers (through my shop) who inquired about if it's for sale. One individual who's purchased there before didn't blink when $150k was thrown out there (not by me). It's interesting for what it's worth I guess but who really knows the seriousness of such people until cash truly makes an appearance. Good luck
Old 05-25-2016, 01:34 PM
BCT11
Intermediate

It's staggering to see how fast these cars have appreciated. What is driving it? Speculation, or real collectors who buy, hold, use & enjoy them?

I tried to help a pal sell his here on Rennlist about 5 years ago.

Ultimately it was sold by a local (in Orange County, CA) Porsche specialty shop on consignment for around $40k.

Today, that car is probably work at least 2x, if not more.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:57 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by oldman40
930 braintrust,

i have an opportunity to bid first on a private sale 57k miles guards red 930 in excellent running condition, good to very good paint quality, and very acceptable interior. no ppi done on the vehicle yet.

i've driven it--car pulls well, no obvious mechanical issues--some notes: the clutch pedal is very hard and it can be a bit difficult to shift into first from stop--normal for a 915 tranny vs need for clutch replace? the speedometer isn't reading properly, and the brake light on the dash lights up intermittently.

anyhow, ballpark, where would the market experts place this car's purchase price? the car belongs to a friend, so we are trying to find a "fair" price for both seller and buyer in an amicable way.

thanks in advance!
May just be the linkage worn or out of adjustment for the first gear problem and the intermittent brake light may be the fluid level a tad low.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:59 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ljpviper
930s either have a 4 speed or G50-50(89). My 86 4 speed clutch was not too bad.
thanks for the correction, is the 930 4speed completely different from the 5 speed 915 of the same time period?
Old 05-26-2016, 12:26 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT11
It's staggering to see how fast these cars have appreciated. What is driving it? Speculation, or real collectors who buy, hold, use & enjoy them?

I tried to help a pal sell his here on Rennlist about 5 years ago.

Ultimately it was sold by a local (in Orange County, CA) Porsche specialty shop on consignment for around $40k.

Today, that car is probably work at least 2x, if not more.
I think a lot of it is speculation and "hype". We have a few for sale near us and so far no takers. I'm close friends with one of the owners as he is in the Porsche club and even though he is asking big money he hasn't received any offers on his 33k mile gem. I feel a market correction coming once interest rates go higher.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Saoirse32
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan87951
I think a lot of it is speculation and "hype". We have a few for sale near us and so far no takers. I'm close friends with one of the owners as he is in the Porsche club and even though he is asking big money he hasn't received any offers on his 33k mile gem. I feel a market correction coming once interest rates go higher.
I respectfully disagree and agree...While I think there are clearly those speculators out there who are looking to make a quick buck or two, many have come to appreciate the 930 for what it is, a classic sports car, made not in great numbers and few remain today. From what I've observed the 930 seems to fly in the face of the usual classic car buyers' requests for "unmolested, pure stock with low miles." People who seem to have purchased these over the years want clean examples but they also want to drive them and have (more) fun. And let's be honest, a stock 930, even one well maintained, still drives "better" with upgraded turbos, etc. Also, prices on the low mile gems seem to be way too high IMO, versus ones in great shape but with higher miles and have been upgraded. As far as the market correction, I think it's already happening...I'm seeing all classics sit longer on the market. One last point- just like good real estate where I live, as long as it's priced correctly, it will sell quickly. There's literally no more room to build here. The 930s fall in the same type of box in that they're not going to be made again and many really, really want them FWIW
Old 05-26-2016, 04:43 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Saoirse32
I respectfully disagree and agree...While I think there are clearly those speculators out there who are looking to make a quick buck or two, many have come to appreciate the 930 for what it is, a classic sports car, made not in great numbers and few remain today. From what I've observed the 930 seems to fly in the face of the usual classic car buyers' requests for "unmolested, pure stock with low miles." People who seem to have purchased these over the years want clean examples but they also want to drive them and have (more) fun. And let's be honest, a stock 930, even one well maintained, still drives "better" with upgraded turbos, etc. Also, prices on the low mile gems seem to be way too high IMO, versus ones in great shape but with higher miles and have been upgraded. As far as the market correction, I think it's already happening...I'm seeing all classics sit longer on the market. One last point- just like good real estate where I live, as long as it's priced correctly, it will sell quickly. There's literally no more room to build here. The 930s fall in the same type of box in that they're not going to be made again and many really, really want them FWIW
good thoughts. seems like it's hard for everyone to put a number or a range of numbers down on the non-unicorn, high quality driver's 930s out there. Perhaps because the market is fluctuating up and down a bit? Are all the sales then mostly one-offs? what are they going for in europe as a comparsion?
Old 05-28-2016, 11:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I follow the market pretty closely and I can tell you the market is correcting by about 10-20%. The only ones commanding big numbers are the early cars and factory slants.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:52 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by oldman40
Is the 930 4speed completely different from the 5 speed 915 of the same time period?
Yes...completely.

Different case, different ratios, different ring/pinion. Whereas typ 915 = commercial, typ 930 = industrial. Typ 930 is same box that homologated the 934.

Quick Reply: market price check