Dyno stress?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dyno stress?

Guys,

I was just wondering if it is stressfull to dyno the car? Reason I ask is that there is not much air blowing into the oil coolers and the engine,,well not like on actual road conditions. Especially you guys who have converted to Motec or Haltech etc. Dont you'll have to keep doing dyno runs and isn't it stressfull for the engine?
Old 09-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It depends on the dyno, dyno operator, and what provisions have been made for cooling.

We use a Dynapack dyno that uses hydraulics to control the car, so it is impossible to overrev the car on a dyno unless it has been programmed incorrectly. Additionally, we have very large fans blowing on the front of the car to cool the oil cooler(s), and one that blows directly on the intercooler and fan. Certainly, it isn't as good as the air flow you get running the car at speed, but does keep the temperatures well within operating ranges. As far as stress on the engine, it is similar to running the car full throttle on the road, similar stresses apply. It is only scary when you are watching it and hearing all of the noise the car puts out which normally would be isolated from the driver's cabin.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:58 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sameer - there is no doubt that the first few times you dyno a high HP turbo car like yours it will be very disconcerting. If you provide lots of air flow like Geoff suggests that will take car of temperature concerns. On my last dyno run with the modified fuel head, the car just got to normal operating temperature at the end of each run (the first warm oil temp line - 90 degrees C) and quickly dropped to about midway between that line and the first line after a few minutes of fan cooling. I generally see higher temps than this just driving in traffic on a warm day. As for stress on the car, once again Geoff has it right - this is basically like driving full throttle under full boost for maybe 7 - 10 seconds at a time - that's it. Now it may hurt your ears if you are outside behind the car. I suggest being in the car during the run to watch what is happening.

Quick Reply: Dyno stress?