911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Should I keep it original?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 06:46 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
Blue would look great, but so would the original color.

My M491 with 17's.

Beautiful! So clean! For preservation's sake, 17's will be going on the car for driving either way. And for tire choice!
Old 11-30-2015, 02:34 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Hot-J,

So in reading all your posts here, it occurs to me, that your budget {limited?} will play a large role in what you are able to do,... and whether that fits into your overall plan for the car.

So if you take into account how much you purchased the car for, and what your spend budget is for the changes you want to make (sounds like 3 things: interior upholstery, ext paint & rims), then it may help make the decisions FOR you.

It sounds like the PAINT side of this equation is your biggest decision point. If you are already going to spend $$ on the interior AND rims/tires. Then take the remaining $$ for paint & make some decisions based on that. If your spend budget will force you into a low-budget paint job, then get the color you want. If you have the money to make the paint a "10", then maybe you should consider the re-sale part of the equation, and stick with orig black.

And hey, even if you decide to stay w/ the original color Black, you could always design some Arrow Blue vinyl stripping, and spruce it up with the color you like. Google for pics of various stripping folks have put on these over the years, and see if you like anything.

Good luck with it!! Only YOU can make the final decisions.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:11 PM
964TURBOCHAS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
Blue would look great, but so would the original color.

My M491 with 17's.

Now thats beautiful!!
Old 12-01-2015, 02:44 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

+1 on that!! Looks like Liquid Metal

great lighting on that photo. Looks professional.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:22 PM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hot-J,
Don't worry about answering this question now.

You will keep making it every time you buy a tail light and you will have the option to buy aftermarket or the concourse Bosch one for double the price. When the windshield goes are you going to argue with the insurance company that you absolutely need blue tint and pay the difference?

That is when you answer the question and why so few are kept stock because it's a hard and expensive decision to keep making knowing so few can tell the difference.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:36 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

A car is only original once. I love how many claim their cars are original yet have aftermarket exhaust,muffler,wheels,etc..etc..

Since your car has a salvage title, the value will take a hit. So anything you do to it should not hurt it too much unless you mangle the look and feel of it to a point that it loses its character.

A full color change should be done correctly. It will require to be completely dismantle including the engine. If it can't be done correctly then the original color should be maintained. In the end these cars are great in stock form but modifying can be so much fun. If done with the proper parts, an altered 930 can be extremely rewarding.

I would start with the suspension,brake pads,exhaust including muffler etc..etc..

Proper planning and research is the first thing you should do. Things can add up real fast....your wallet will hide itself..lol
Old 12-04-2015, 01:51 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speednme
A car is only original once. I love how many claim their cars are original yet have aftermarket exhaust,muffler,wheels,etc..etc..
Well then you LOVE ME! Lol. Cause I call mine "original" & yes I have my original exhaust, rims, muffler sitting on my shelf in my garage. It is my car & it is a reflection of me.

I guess I also think it a bit "funny" when folks don't count originality, when such simple things as exhaust & rims are so easily "reversible" (especially when we have them in our possession & they "stay with the car" for life).

Things that make you go "Hmmmm".
(all in good light hearted spirit)
Old 12-04-2015, 01:59 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

Do with it whatever makes you happy - based on the way you acquired the car, you win in either scenario.

In my case, I am keeping my 996 GT3 original, because I LIKE it that way. Yes, I could make it into a virtual cup car, but I don't want one, so there you go.

I'm thinking leaving it OEM will also help maximize resale value, but that's a secondary or tertiary point at best: I don't want a cup car, I don't want to devalue it, I don't have time to use one properly and the wife would hurt me badly if I tossed that much cash at it. I bruise easily, so leaving it stock is an easy choice.

Bottom line: you have a badazz car - have fun with it!!!!
Old 12-04-2015, 05:00 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

so true, so true. That's what makes this heritage so fantastic. They are all variants of 911 (even my 958 CTT feels & sounds like it came from the same family!), and yet all so individual & unique at the same time.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with whatever choices you make. As PDog said, since you are starting out at such a low entry purchase point, you've got plenty of room to advance!!
Let us know how it goes Hot-J
Old 12-04-2015, 05:20 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the responses! I will definitely keep you all in the loop! I believe she will be getting personalized to my taste. I consider myself lucky to have the opportunity to make a 930 "mine" without financial suicide. Build thread incoming!
Old 12-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Antny930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless the car has a provenance that would be destroyed by an un-reversible modification, I say make it your own. Just keep in mind that if you decide to sell it, your market audience will likely be narrower than if it was an "original" type car.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Nick McEwan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know my opinion is skewed because I'm pretty far off from a purist, but as long as the modifications aren't massive the car can alwasy be put back to OEM, plus in the argument of resale value...

Would you hold off from kinky stuff with your girlfriend so the next guy has a more innocent girl?

Nah man tear that sh_t up.

Especially after you said resale is not you main concern. Just as well, as long as you modify in good taste, you leave a permanent mark on the car you've owned adding to the richness and history of the vehicle, separating it from the pack. Also the next generation of Porsche enthusiasts has less purists, and so your target audience may pay the same for a modified car as an untouched one. Plus you're marketing a branded car, so your purchasing demographic will probably be guys more interested in track racing and enjoying the car, while purists and collectors will automatically skip over your car to look at the other 5 untouched cars for sale on Hemmings.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:48 PM
EdwinL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should make the car the way you want it. My 79 Turbo is quite mod out with RUF parts including a RUF dog leg 5 speed and is my RUF wannabe. It's a car I always wanted since I was a kid so I'm living my youth. It's always a treat to drive and I would not change it back to stock.

Quick Reply: Should I keep it original?