911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Should I keep it original?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 12:16 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I keep it original?

I am starting to formulate a plan of attack on the salvage 930 I purchased. Since this is already a "branded" car, is originality really that important? I am only thinking of changing the exterior and interior colors, not some crazy modifications. That being said, if I do decide to sell in the future, how would changing those two things impact resale? The car is Metallic black with tan interior now. Thinking of arrow blue on black for the changes. What do you guys think? BTW, either way, the car needs paint.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:43 AM
964TURBOCHAS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I personally would keep it original.....I think buyers down the road would want it that way.
Now if the salvage title was some serious damage then it probably won't matter.
But then again its your car......if your going to keep it then its a mute point.

have fun with whatever you do.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:11 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

You should build car the way you want- it will be worth more if it's original but so what.
Phil
Old 11-27-2015, 01:56 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

The car was a theft and has zero structural damage it doesn't look like it's ever been in an accident. Originally I thought the car had been an accident but found out later on that wasn't the case.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:23 PM
O.B.1
Rennlist Member

My vote is to keep it original.....
Old 11-27-2015, 07:25 PM
blackbull
Racer

They are getting good harder to find in decent condition. ....so keep it original.

Just mho
Old 11-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

^^^^ I'm with Phil on this one.
You should do what you really want to do with the car. Take the route that excites you...
Why did you buy the car? Because the price was cheap and you were going to sell it for a profit, or to have some fun and modify it to your own taste?
Old 11-27-2015, 11:13 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

with Salvage title i would go ahead and do what you will with it.

Concours car with salvage title is a hard sell, so you might as well have some fun with this one.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:09 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

The agony! I don't know what to do. I am not a well off person, so resale is a factor for me weather I plan to resell or not. I am leaning towards original, but my heart wants an Arrow blue 930 with black interior, and 17 inch fikse fuchs!
Old 11-28-2015, 08:30 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Hi.

I would do whatever you want to do and enjoy it. There is to much come resell talk nowadays and I myself is also thinking like this with my cars. I have a -76 930 that is not stock that I have been thinking of returning to stock but a stock car is boring compared to mine and I dont want that. So I decided to do whatever I whish and enjoy.

You could do a halfway solution and keep it mostly like it is but put nice wheels and a lowered stance on it.

This car is a fellow rennlisters and I think it is beatiful! Love the gold on black and with a supernice stance. Maybe a route to take?!

Regards
Peder
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2015, 12:11 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

If the consideration is primarily financial - you should just sell car as is. A really nice color change paint job is very expensive- less if you keep color stock but still lots of money.

Phil
Old 11-29-2015, 02:11 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be tempted to do what you want with it if it has "history". If you need to sell I doubt you would lose that much value. Arrow Blue looks stunning on the 930

Old 11-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Mistergee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hot-J
The agony! I don't know what to do. I am not a well off person, so resale is a factor for me weather I plan to resell or not. I am leaning towards original, but my heart wants an Arrow blue 930 with black interior, and 17 inch fikse fuchs!
I have to say you have great taste,
I was in a similar boat as you, but I bought mine with original paint and I didn't like it so I stripped it to bare metal and painted her blue,
Its my car and my taste , there's no way I would make my car look a certain way for SOMEONE else to enjoy what a load of ****e lol.,

The silly thing is that people ask if its original paint all the time, I answer no but I have Original Bakelite switches, Brass Piping, Stainless Steel Fuel lines original wiring,, even the original dated and stamped rust free headers..
Paint is just paint and it can be changed , recoated, whatever,, if I was looking for original id be checking for the headers and switches ...matching number engine and Chassis this is the Important Stuff.!! the stuff that is hard to find if lost over time, Paint is the Least important and the easiest thing to change, there's so much more to the car people seem to forget that.

Heres mine I painted in my garage Cost including new compressor and Spraygun Kit - $560 aud
Arrow Blue
black leather interior
17 inch Euromeisters ($800aud)

Arrow Blue Black Leather<br/>
Old 11-29-2015, 04:14 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mistergee
I have to say you have great taste,
I was in a similar boat as you, but I bought mine with original paint and I didn't like it so I stripped it to bare metal and painted her blue,
Its my car and my taste , there's no way I would make my car look a certain way for SOMEONE else to enjoy what a load of ****e lol.,

The silly thing is that people ask if its original paint all the time, I answer no but I have Original Bakelite switches, Brass Piping, Stainless Steel Fuel lines original wiring,, even the original dated and stamped rust free headers..
Paint is just paint and it can be changed , recoated, whatever,, if I was looking for original id be checking for the headers and switches ...matching number engine and Chassis this is the Important Stuff.!! the stuff that is hard to find if lost over time, Paint is the Least important and the easiest thing to change, there's so much more to the car people seem to forget that.

Heres mine I painted in my garage Cost including new compressor and Spraygun Kit - $560 aud
Arrow Blue
black leather interior
17 inch Euromeisters ($800aud)

Arrow Blue Black Leather<br/>
Wow you guys. You're not making it easy! As far as having a "branded" car, I believe I am in the best shape I could be considering it has no structural damage. Resale is not my PRIMARY concern, just a unfortunate factor I cannot ignore. God I love that arrow blue!
Old 11-29-2015, 04:20 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blue would look great, but so would the original color.

My M491 with 17's.

Quick Reply: Should I keep it original?