Reverse won't engage.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 08:19 PM
AKA930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse won't engage.....

Hello everyone,

Last Sunday I stopped by my fathers house to pick him up to go to a car show. Got back into the car, started it up, and it won't go into reverse! I try and push it over, but it just stops like there's a wall there.

How would this happen? Is it an easy fix or do I need to take it to a shop?

Much appreciated,

Jason
Old 10-25-2015, 09:44 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by AKA930
Hello everyone,

Last Sunday I stopped by my fathers house to pick him up to go to a car show. Got back into the car, started it up, and it won't go into reverse! I try and push it over, but it just stops like there's a wall there.

How would this happen? Is it an easy fix or do I need to take it to a shop?

Much appreciated,

Jason
Presuming it's a 930 trans. If the clamp on the linkage came loose it should have trouble going into other gears. If that is not it you start at the shifter and work your way back. Also, if you can get a grip on the shifter input shaft (while disconnected from the rest of the linkage) you should be able to put it into all the gears.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Presuming it's a 930 trans. If the clamp on the linkage came loose it should have trouble going into other gears. If that is not it you start at the shifter and work your way back. Also, if you can get a grip on the shifter input shaft (while disconnected from the rest of the linkage) you should be able to put it into all the gears.
Pull off the inspection cover in the rear passenger compartment between the two front seats. Look at the coupler there that's secured with an allen headed set screw. Make sure it's good and tight. Had that happen to me once while parked nose-first down a slight hill against a barrier and nowhere to go but backwards. I had to push the car back and straighten her out in order to drive forward. Embarrassing to say the least, took a couple minutes to fix.
The following users liked this post:
BirthYearTurbo (03-03-2020)
Old 10-26-2015, 06:57 PM
AKA930
Instructor

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Thanks for the reply! Yes, it's a 930 trans and seemed to go into all the other gears just fine. Just wouldn't go into reverse....
Old 10-26-2015, 07:00 PM
AKA930
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Pull off the inspection cover in the rear passenger compartment between the two front seats. Look at the coupler there that's secured with an allen headed set screw. Make sure it's good and tight. Had that happen to me once while parked nose-first down a slight hill against a barrier and nowhere to go but backwards. I had to push the car back and straighten her out in order to drive forward. Embarrassing to say the least, took a couple minutes to fix.
Oh my gaawwd....your situation was a hell of a lot worse than mine! I'll take a look at it and hope that that's all it is! Thanks, Mark!
Old 11-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...and the doctor's prognosis?
Old 11-10-2015, 02:53 PM
AKA930
Instructor

Mark - I finally got a chance to check it out last night. The allen screw was tight. Still won't go into reverse, but goes into all other gears fine. Looks like there was some oil at the bottom, also. Is that normal?
Old 11-12-2015, 01:17 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Your coupler/linkage may need replaced or adjusted. I had to get mine fixed in the spring for the exact same reason -- no reverse. For whatever reason (just lucky I guess), my linkage/coupler goes tats up about every 3-4 years or few thousands miles and either fails from fatigue or gets out of alignment. I think the chassis flexing and Mack Truck nature of the tranny itself just slowly gets it out of whack on my particular car. Its not a big ticket item fix, but, a PITA because not having reverse is quite inconvenient!

I can usually feel mine start to shat the bed over time. It was probematic last winter. When I started the car up in the spring, the coupler monster must have finished it off.

Quick Reply: Reverse won't engage.....