911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Cranks but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 03:01 PM
md993a
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranks but will not start

Happy New Year to all! My 87 has been sitting for about 3 weeks. Went to try and start it today, she cranks fine but will not fire. When I turn the key on, I can hear the fuel pumps activate. I tried switching around the relays to no avail. I also can smell fuel in the cabin while cranking but no indication of fuel leaks anywhere. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by md993a; 03-17-2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Would like to delete the thread
Old 01-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Handy930
Racer

Not sure about your system, but on my 79 you would not hear the fuel pumps activate with the key on. I had a problem like this and jumped the fuel pumps(you need to do both)and car started. Check the fuse for sure. Not sure why you smell fuel so you should be very careful. Let us know what you discover.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:40 AM
md993a
Instructor

Thanks Handy. It's my understanding that once you turn the key to the first position, you will hear the fuel pumps activate for a second or two which indicates they are working. I will check to make sure both are working properly. Yeah, not sure why the gas smell. I took the air cleaner off to make sure the flapper(probably not the correct terminology) was not stuck, no issues there. Tried to start it again, cranks, but will not fire. Still smell fuel so I assume it's fuel going into the system and I possibly have an issue with no spark??
Old 01-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Handy930
Racer

The cold start valve is probably working and spraying fuel with the cranking. I would check for spark.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:12 PM
md993a
Instructor

What is the best way to check for spark?
Old 01-11-2015, 03:34 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Lots of good info here

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-9...snt-start.html

Originally Posted by md993a
What is the best way to check for spark?
Kind of a pain with Porsche wires. If you have an extra spark plug you can pull one of your wires and put it in. If not you can pull one of your plugs, and with the wire on it crank it and see if you get spark. Careful you may get a zap.

Smelling fuel.....If the metering plate gets stick open you can get too much fuel and it won't start.

Last edited by MUSSBERGER; 01-11-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:50 PM
md993a
Instructor

Thanks Mussberger. I checked the metering plate and it seemed to move freely but did make a squeaking noise when I pushed it down. Should it be lubricated and if so how? I will try and get an extra plug and check for a spark. If no spark, is the first suspect the coil?
Old 01-11-2015, 06:03 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks Mussberger. I checked the metering plate and it seemed to move freely but did make a squeaking noise when I pushed it down. Should it be lubricated and if so how? I will try and get an extra plug and check for a spark. If no spark, is the first suspect the coil?
It should move freely up and down. Push down on it and it should pop back up closed after releasing it. Not sure about the squeak or lubing it.

Use the thread on pelican. Go through the steps that are there. Lots of smart guys put that together.

Check the yellow relay contacts. Its under the cover on the left side of the engine compartment.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:05 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems your issue almost has to be ignition related...you're smelling gas, which means you're getting fuel.
That squeakie sound when you pushed down on the control arm: Was that with the pumps running? The injectors won't inject fuel until the arm has been depressed a little bit, to open up the delivery slots in the fuel head. The squeak may have been fuel spraying through the injectors. Just saying.....
Old 01-12-2015, 04:26 PM
md993a
Instructor

Thanks for all the advice. I checked the CDI, which is working fine. I pulled the IC to get at the coil wire going into the distributor cap, got a great spark. Put everything back together and she fired right up. I assume I have/had a loose connection on the coil wire. Will continue to monitor but so far so good.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:11 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the advice. I checked the CDI, which is working fine. I pulled the IC to get at the coil wire going into the distributor cap, got a great spark. Put everything back together and she fired right up. I assume I have/had a loose connection on the coil wire. Will continue to monitor but so far so good.
Great news (but if you're like me, you won't feel comfortable or confident until you know exactly what caused the problem in the first place). Another possibility could be the trigger wire for the CDI going to the distributor. But since all you played around with was the coil, then apparently the poor connection originates there.

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Arnie1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a loose relay connection in the engine compartment. On the left side is a relay which was loose. When I wiggled it the car started right up.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arnie1
I had a loose relay connection in the engine compartment. On the left side is a relay which was loose. When I wiggled it the car started right up.
That particular relay, in the drivers side relay tray (depending on year, usually yellow in color) functions mysteriously with other circuits to shut off fuel (called the overboost relay but has more functions than that). It's a common cause of not starting, but in this instance md993A's problem wasn't fuel, it was ignition.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:02 AM
Handy930
Racer

Did you check the 12volt connections on the coil? I had a problem that I could not find until I removed the plastic cover on top of the coil and found a loose connection on one wire and the metal end had been burned away and it was just hanging there next to the terminal. Maybe you just jiggled it when you were pulling the high tension coil wire. Worth a check if you haven't removed the coil cover.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:40 PM
md993a
Instructor

Handy, I will certainly check that. Since the only thing I really did was take the coil wire off to check for spark, I would assume that it was either not seated properly or as you state, there is a loose wire. Thanks again for all your help. This is an awesome forum.

Quick Reply: Cranks but will not start