Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Possibly selling my 930. What's the price neighborhood?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 04:31 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats on the car. I thought mid to high $60's but in this world being $10k off ain't terrible! I didn't sell my car through sloan. Sloan's deal is you and he agree to a minimum price that you will take and then you both split 50:50 whatever you make over that price. The car goes to him and it must be as advertised or you are paying to get it back. My car was slightly modified and he wanted me to turn it back to stock (about $7k). After doing the math I walked away with what I would have received from him if he sold the car for $130k. I didn't want to use Ebay because once a car sits there for too long people talk and then you are being told your car has all sorts of problems.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:55 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Sloan's deal is you and he agree to a minimum price that you will take and then you both split 50:50 whatever you make over that price. The car goes to him and it must be as advertised or you are paying to get it back. My car was slightly modified and he wanted me to turn it back to stock (about $7k). After doing the math I walked away with what I would have received from him if he sold the car for $130k.

Seems like a risky and expensive proposition to me- owner is assuming almost all the risk and Sloan is assuming none- I'd rather pay a straight commission on the sale if I was to ever go this route. It would seem to me that one the things you are paying for is dealer's expertise on the market value of your car- you have pre set you own sales price and accept 1/2 of the Sloan premium above that.

Phil
Old 12-09-2014, 01:12 AM
union
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Sloan's deal is you and he agree to a minimum price that you will take and then you both split 50:50 whatever you make over that price. The car goes to him and it must be as advertised or you are paying to get it back. My car was slightly modified and he wanted me to turn it back to stock (about $7k). After doing the math I walked away with what I would have received from him if he sold the car for $130k.

Seems like a risky and expensive proposition to me- owner is assuming almost all the risk and Sloan is assuming none- I'd rather pay a straight commission on the sale if I was to ever go this route. It would seem to me that one the things you are paying for is dealer's expertise on the market value of your car- you have pre set you own sales price and accept 1/2 of the Sloan premium above that.

Phil

Thanks I always wondered what's Sloan pricing. I think we can all agree that he's one of the better dealers who get top dollars. I can't think of anyone else besides Canepa that can get a higher dollar amount.

His pricing seems fair: Say you have a car valued at $130K

You bring it to another dealer and their commission is 7% standard. If it does sell at $130K, you need back a little over $120K

Sloan, if you are minimum is $100K, you get back $115K. Of course we don't know if dealer A can get $130K.

Did Sloan try to force you into a lower minimum amount so that their net will be higher?
Old 12-09-2014, 11:34 AM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sloan's pricing fair?

Quick Reply: Possibly selling my 930. What's the price neighborhood?