Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Possibly selling my 930. What's the price neighborhood?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Possibly selling my 930. What's the price neighborhood?

This isn't a for sale ad, but it may lead to one. Another car has caught my eye, and I seriously don't have any more room in the garage, so something would have to go to make it happen. What I'd like to know is what price neighborhood does everyone think we're in today with this car. I have my guess, but would like to hear from you before I throw this on ebay or the marketplace.

Many of you know this car. 1985 930 with ~ 35,4XX miles in great condition & virtually all original.

I've owned it since 2006, and have had no issues with it other than a warm-up regulator and 3rd gear synchronizer replaced shortly after I brought it home. The car runs flawlessly, and I've driven it on several trips. It would score extremely well in any PPI, and I'd not hesitate to drive it anywhere (weather permitting). It has lived in my climate-controlled garage since I've had it.

The car is 90% original paint, Prussian blue Metallic, (front bumper was resprayed due to some rock chips) and has never had any accidents, rust or damage. All the original VIN & paint stickers are still where they are supposed to be. This is as solid a body as you'll find.

Original blue full leather (including dash) interior with no rips, tears, stains, etc.. I've replaced a few small items (cracked speaker grill, seatback lever, etc.) over the years, but it really doesn't need anything and look very nice. There's some minor warping of the dash underlying material around the center air vents, but the leather is perfect. The windshield has a spot (approx. 3" square) on the lower driver's side where a parking sticker for the U.K. Embassy was removed, and it took some of the safety coating material with it. That always kinda bothered me, but not enough to replace the windshield.

The car's a European market car that was in the southern US (hence the window tint) since 1985-86. It was imported by an official who worked at the U.K consulate office in Texas. He traded it in at a Porsche dealer soon before I got it for a new turbo, and I talked to him after buying this (he regretted selling it).

Basically stock, but the following items come with the car:

- Garrett K27 turbocharger
- Garretson intercooler (I took this off and put the stock intercooler back on, but this one goes with the car)
- B&B Stainless exhaust system
- aftermarket radio with lifetime XM radio subscription (I may keep this and put it in another car, replacing it with a non-XM radio. I kinda like the free XM)

Last edited by Ghosteh; 12-19-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

My only suggestion would be to switch back to stock radio. And best of luck.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:34 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

From what I have been reading the Euro cars are being snapped up by guess who? The Euro's! They are the kings of the low ballers (I have an older Benz that I have had for sale) so hold on to your hat for that crazy ride.

Nice looking car. Love Prussian Blue. Best of luck.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

If I had the stock radio, I would! I never could find one of those darn things.

I'm putting it on ebay tomorrow. Hope the Euros are paying attention!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:47 PM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Love that blue leather dash, in great shape too.
I hope this other car you are looking at can hold your attention as well
Old 11-28-2014, 10:37 PM
Porsche 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice looking 930. In today's market, with a nice 930 like you have, best money goes to the original cars. Likely, the more original parts you can put back the better you will do but you should do well regardless of the configuration you decide to sell it in.

As far as the radio goes, if you cannot find an original and you decide to keep the XM, fill the hole with a 911-552-463-02-70B-OEM Porsche Radio Delete Faceplate for $12 and change from the Bird and I think all will be well.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:44 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

That is a beautiful car!
GLWS,
Phil
Old 11-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reachme
Love that blue leather dash, in great shape too.
I hope this other car you are looking at can hold your attention as well
I'm sure it will. I'll post a photo of the replacement after all the dealing is done.

She's live on ebay now. Tell all your friends!

Last edited by Ghosteh; 12-19-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:00 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you sure that is a factory leather dash? I have never seen one with that stitching pattern before.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
Are you sure that is a factory leather dash? I have never seen one with that stitching pattern before.
I didn't buy the car new in '85, but there's nothing to indicate that it was ever replaced.

It's a similar stitch pattern to a 928 Weissach ('82) that I used to have.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:52 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
I didn't buy the car new in '85, but there's nothing to indicate that it was ever replaced.

It's a similar stitch pattern to a 928 Weissach ('82) that I used to have.
I've owned 3 930s (77, 79, 86) and a Weissach 911sc, and all the leather dashes looked like this, without stitching at the leading edge. That is why I asked if it was factory. Life in Texas could have caused the dash leather to shrink, and the seams to split. That is what happened to my Weissach before I redid the dash.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

I don't know... it sure looks factory. The seams are very straight and the stitching pattern & thread is the same as the door panels, and it also aligns up to them also (see the door sill). The color & grain is identical to the rest of the leather. If it has been replaced (and I still doubt it was), it was an excellent job and must have happened very early in its life.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

^It is totally ok even IF replaced. It should not matter. This is a nice car.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:05 AM
musiker
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let us know what it goes for..
Old 12-02-2014, 04:24 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

The color and mileage are right but the paintwork, non-USA car, and the few non-original bits will hurt. It took me a long time to sell mine with 22k miles. Personally, I think your car will be worth somewhere in the mid to high $60k's. You may try to consign it but the sale is tough. Very few people buy these cars from an owner unless it is priced right. The dealers are trusted.

Quick Reply: Possibly selling my 930. What's the price neighborhood?