911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 Turbo price question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 PM
hennabav
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 Turbo price question

A local guy to me has a '87 930 Turbo in guards red on cashmere with around 65k miles. The car is clean and all stock. I was chatting with him about his car and had to ask, whether it was for sale. At the time he said no it's not and I didn't ask any further. But I left him my details and to call me if it ever decides to come up for sale. Fast forward couple weeks later, he messages me and said to make an offer if I'm interested. I've always liked this car but lately prices have been kind of crazy. What do you guys think is a fair price?

I recently just bought a 993 C2S so I'm not even sure if it's the right time to be buying another one, but it is damn purdy!!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 286 Posts

So...I would say $50k would be a great price IMHO. (PS: I am a privateer and not a dealer)
Old 08-04-2014, 05:31 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
So...I would say $50k would be a great price IMHO. (PS: I am a privateer and not a dealer)
I would agree..good number to start if condition,options and service history meet your goals.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Porsche 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hennabav
A local guy to me has a '87 930 Turbo in guards red on cashmere with around 65k miles. The car is clean and all stock. I was chatting with him about his car and had to ask, whether it was for sale. At the time he said no it's not and I didn't ask any further. But I left him my details and to call me if it ever decides to come up for sale. Fast forward couple weeks later, he messages me and said to make an offer if I'm interested. I've always liked this car but lately prices have been kind of crazy. What do you guys think is a fair price?

I recently just bought a 993 C2S so I'm not even sure if it's the right time to be buying another one, but it is damn purdy!!
I think it is very hard to put a $ amount on a 930 without seeing it in person. For a minimum you need to supply some quality pictures.

Here is (from Pelicanparts.com) a decent looking '87 930 that sold in less than 2 weeks at a Massachusetts Dealer for short of $70K late last month. Nice looking car with similar mileage to the one you mention, but, not completely stock. I have no affiliation with this 930 and was going to check it out but it got sold before I had a chance to see it. From the information available, I do not think the price was out of line.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-9...-sales-28.html

Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your buying to enjoy, then timing is meaningless, on the other hand if your buying due to anticipated appreciation, then I think your late.

QE is all but over
Interest rates have no where to go but up, and that's true for most of the world.

The potential for capital gains going forward in virtually all asset classes is likely over for decades to come. When a worlds economy that has grown mostly due to 'creative financing' and low interest rates has to start relying on REAL unadulterated and unleveraged GROWTH its a very scary thought IMO.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:02 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't agree, I think these prices will quadruple in less than 5 yrs.
I think 55-65k is the sweet spot.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I don't agree, I think these prices will quadruple in less than 5 yrs.
I think 55-65k is the sweet spot.
Reality check....the unintended consequences of QE and low interest rates is that supply is the economies driver and that's simply not a sustainable model and historically has always led to disaster.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/nobody...ties-of-china/
Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok....on a happier note did you pick up that 74 project car in ft worth?
Old 08-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Ok....on a happier note did you pick up that 74 project car in ft worth?
Honestly, I thought there was much more value in the engine than what a few pelicans / rennlisters seem to believe and I value their expertise. My initial hair-brained plan (if bought right) was to buy the car, sell the engine and put a 3.6 in it. I did send the guy a low offer to see where they were at, but I don't expect anything will come of it and I have no intensions of chasing it.

Cheers

Quick Reply: 930 Turbo price question