911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

reasonable price on '86 modified

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:22 PM
bLikeMac
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reasonable price on '86 modified

I am considering purchasing a '86 930 that has been modified and am curious on what fair market value would be. From a purist perspective, it has been hacked up severely - however I hate to admit, I do like the car and more importantly for me - the way it drives, so I am considering it. Modifications include a 3.6 conversion with a 5 speed, newer style bumpers, suspension upgrades, wheel and brake upgrades. Although it has been clearly tainted, it was at least thought out and hacked up nicely. It is obviously no longer a pure 930 by any means so I would think it would take a lot away from the value, but then again, there is obviously a ton invested here by the owner. The car is very clean in and out, and the interior looks to have also been recently redone (that part is still stock), it drives absolutely awesome (I will admit that) so no issues there. Needs a few things here and there but nothing major. What do you think this car is worth, around 40K (I am guessing)...? Appreciate your input. Thanks. Bil
Old 07-09-2014, 12:43 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hard to say based on the info provided, 40s as a ballpark.
Just add up what it would cost to go back to stock and deduct from the cost of a similar less modded 930. Thats what its worth. The only 930s not gaining in value are the heavily modded (so called frankenturbo) and the non factory slant conversions.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:19 AM
bLikeMac
Track Day

Very good. Thanks. -Bill
Old 07-11-2014, 02:04 AM
bfle21
Intermediate

Depends on what is more important to you really. If originality is important, this probably isn't the car for you, because getting it back to stock would cost more than just buying a proper 86 930 for 55-70k. But if originality isn't important and you love the way this one feels, than throw current valuations out the window. Heavily modified cars do hurt values, but at the end of the day, a properly modified 930 can be a fantastic car. Just don't expect the same appreciation in value, and do expect a little more in maintenance if mods weren't done right.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:46 PM
mtnbiker63
Instructor

Are you buying it as an investment or to drive? Admittedly we all want our Porsche's to go up in value. Having a highly modified engine myself, I enjoy the speed. Next for me is a complete replacement of the suspension. Trying to improve on the handling and thus better my driving experience.

It all comes down to are you going to drive it and how.....

Quick Reply: reasonable price on '86 modified