911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Tom Bailey
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Sending Unit

My oil pressure gauge reads nothing. I know the car has oil pressure (mostly because I've driven it a lot, and it works fine). When I turn the power on for the car, the gauge jumps up a little bit, so I think the gauge is ok, I'm guessing the sending unit is bad. Could anyone give me a good step by step on how to replace it. I don't even know where it is located. My last turbo car was an 87 GN, and I'm new to Porsches.

I really appreciate any advise you have.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:23 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The oil pressure gauge sending unit is on the right side of the engine case as far to the back of the car as you can go. It is right next to the fan housing and is about the same size as a 35mm film container. Follow the cam oil line and you will find it. Very often, the connection is loose and will cause the gauge to not read. You can use a pair of needle nose pliers and band the inside of the connector tighter and that will solve a faulty connection.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:37 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's another tip.

Have your doctor install an extra knuckle in each finger to reach it easier. I know I would have like them when I changed my original gauge for a numerical one.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:49 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LMAO...Now that is funny. I will take 2 please

The unit has to be removed with a crows foot and an extension. Make sure not to desturb the block that feeds the cam line and the sender. It will make a huge mess if you do.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Sending Unit