911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Positraction lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 04:20 AM
gaijin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Positraction lubrication

How do I lubricate the positraction on a 930? Replaced right rear bearing and now hearing a "dragging" noise when driving. Believe it might be lack of lubrication (posi).

Thanks,
Old 01-28-2002, 09:02 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Giajin,

You didn't mention if your car was a 4 speed or a 5 speed car. To drain/fill your transmission, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission and the fill plug is on the driver's side about 1/2 up the transmission case. If you haven't replaced the fluid recently, now is a pretty good time. I just completed the service on my 89 which has the G50/50 and I used Redline Synthetic which has all of the appropriate locking differential lubricants. It took slightly less than one gallon to completely fill it. I used a pump that fits on top of the gallon jug and you pump it into the fill plug until starts to come out. Wait a bit to let the oil settle into the transmission and for the air bubbles to release, then repeat. I think I had about 1/4 to 1/2 of fluid left in the gallon container when I was finished.

I doubt the noise you are hearing is from the transmission. Perhaps a rear brake is dragging or the tin that protects the rotor was bent when working there and is rubbing the rotor. FWIW.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:04 PM
gaijin
Racer

Geoffrey,
My 930 is a four speed. And you are correct, it wasn't the posi making all the racket. We somehow had misaligned the replacement rear wheel bearings. Had to pull them out (inner/outer) and replace again. Fabricated a device that allowed even pressure on the wheel bearing assembly and race (pressing motion) for proper seating into the hub assembly.

Also took your advise and made sure that the brake rotor metal guards (dust shields) were properly spaced from the rotors.

All is well and my 930 is back on happy trails!

Keeping the revs up,
Old 02-10-2002, 03:02 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Glad to hear that your problem wasn't more serious. If you haven't changed your fluid in the trans, now is probably a good time while it is still fresh in your mind.
Old 02-10-2002, 03:48 PM
gaijin
Racer

Geoffrey,
Yes, that is next on my agenda. Planning on doing R&R on the tranni. Will definitely change the fluid.
Regards,

Quick Reply: Positraction lubrication