Current 930 Values are these Realistic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:12 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
Once values reach a point (which I think we're seeing now), I believe ROW cars are no longer hamstringed by not being a U.S.-market car. Besides having more hp (always a good thing) and generally cleaner lines, the price to export them back to Europe no longer becomes an issue because the cars themselves have become so valuable. And of course when dollar is weaker, we see more cars leaving the U.S., and a Euro-spec car is preferred when exporting back to Euro-land.

At least this is what I keep telling myself!
Interesting thinking. You may be right. A LOT of air-cooleds are being bought and shipped back to the motherland. I have a friend that sold his 84 Factory Turbo Look to basically German prospectors that live in the states but buy em' here and sell them back in Germany. Almost seemed to good to be true when they inquired about his car and pretty much offered asking price w/o seeing the car in person. The red flags went up everywhere: foreigners, offering asking price on the spot, wire transfer (Nigeria scams anyone?)...

They did finally inspect it for about an hour, wired the cash, and hauled it away. Bingo bango. I dont think it was on the market for 3 days. It was a very nice original car. Nothing that screams Pebble Beach, but straight and no stories. We were all waiting for the horror story. But, it went through like a piece of cake. I think the folks advertise in the back of Pano or Excellence.

BTW, I inquired with Condon Skelly. Im checking to see if my agent writes for them. If I dont have to fart around with another damn appraisal, Id rather not. Its totally ridiculous when I had one done last year. C-S appears not to need one.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:19 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the only cars hurt, value wise, will be slant conversions and heavily modded frankenturbos.
I think I'll test the market later myself.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:59 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I think the only cars hurt, value wise, will be slant conversions and heavily modded frankenturbos.
I think I'll test the market later myself.
You'll find less tire kicking with the euro buyers, they are also not hung up on the milage. They check the condition, if it's good they buy.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:57 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
The grey market cars are more desirable in Europe, they are more robust and raw, the tax advantage is huge too. A US car has never paid it's tax in Germany and it will be collected when it's imported back home.
There were quite a few that made the trek after being reg'd in the fatherland.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

There were a ton of grey market Benz, Porsche and Beemers that came from Europe...my CSL (rusted...) was one of them...now they are going back...

I just sold my 2008GT2 to a someone in Eastern Europe...not sure whom...
Old 05-08-2014, 10:46 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This is frankly old news: Germans have been over here a couple years now repatriating Euro spec cars. Anyone who thinks a grey market US car is worth less, all else equal, than a US car, has just not been paying attention. These are collector cars now, not used cars, and as such valued on condition. The 75/76 are legit 'Milestone' cars, and the rest will follow in proportion to their rarity and historicity.

Other interesting pockets have been stirring e.g. a contingent of Porsche Motorsports has been quietly buying up the air-cooled cup cars that found their way to the US.

As we have aged, the iconic cars of our youth have, in inverse relation to ourselves, become more desirable and respected with time...
Old 05-09-2014, 01:54 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonH
Anyone who thinks a grey market US car is worth less, all else equal, than a US car, has just not been paying attention.
Evidence?
Old 05-09-2014, 03:20 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonH
Anyone who thinks a grey market US car is worth less, all else equal, than a US car, has just not been paying attention.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this statement. The Euro cars have documentation issues. Speedometers that have been replaced and no documents to support the reported mileage. I can trace my car back to the original owner (1 owner), all the records (service, oil changes etc. etc.) that support the reported mileage. With a Euro spec car it's a crap shoot. That affects values IMHO.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:00 PM
tonypeoni
Intermediate

Unless miles are exceptionally low they do not matter. My car is a euro car with a title that states its actual miles are 48k. That title is now 18 years old. Again miles don't matter. And it will matter less and less. Look at the current 3.0 market. Most of these cars have 100k +. What does matter is condition! condition! condition!. Also keep this in mind, euro cars will bring the most money overseas. Those buyers could care less about miles. Again condition! condition! condition!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:17 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypeoni
Unless miles are exceptionally low they do not matter. Again miles don't matter
Maybe with your money, it matters with mine. Condition is a no-brainer.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:30 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Condition over miles all day everyday.
I've built 2 930s, one had 38k the other 99k. Guess which car needed a complete restoration... Like Tony said condition, condition, condition !
Old 05-11-2014, 09:29 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Condition over miles all day everyday.
I've built 2 930s, one had 38k the other 99k. Guess which car needed a complete restoration... Like Tony said condition, condition, condition !
This is so true. It's just as easy to swap out mileage/speedometers on a US built car or disconnect the speedometer. Oldest trick in the book when it comes to these old girls. As TT Gasman has stated..CONDITION is key.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:59 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 9Eleven
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this statement. The Euro cars have documentation issues. Speedometers that have been replaced and no documents to support the reported mileage. I can trace my car back to the original owner (1 owner), all the records (service, oil changes etc. etc.) that support the reported mileage. With a Euro spec car it's a crap shoot. That affects values IMHO.
I see no difference in my 1-owner car, which was imported to the U.S. when the original owner moved here, and also has all the service, conversion, & EPA docs. I have the paper-trail that supports my mileage too. Best of all, the car's condition is very consistent with the mileage.

As others have said, mileage can be faked no matter where your car was sold new. Documentation & condition that's appropriate for the mileage is really the only way to verify that you're buying a car with 30K miles and not one with 230K miles.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:49 PM
klesel
3rd Gear

930 for sale, in the northeast US
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111351612769...CA:MOTORS:1123
Old 05-12-2014, 11:45 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Helluva car.

Quick Reply: Current 930 Values are these Realistic?