911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

911 intercooler ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 02:19 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 911 intercooler ?

i have an 83 911sc cab. i am having a short stroke 3.2 non intercooled turbo motor being built for it. i was told that i could put and intercooler on the motor. reason why i did not go with the cooler originally was because i have a 3.6 rs tail on there now and i like it and did not want to have to change it. after thinking a while i have decided that it might be a good idea to intercool. i am not going to track the car and i will use the power once in a while. the boost will be set at .8 bars. i live in upstate new york and only see hot weather ( over 80 d ) about 3 or so months out of the year. my question is 1. do you think the intercooler is critical ? 2. if i were to go with an intercooler is there a way it can be installed were the air condition condensor is located in the truck lid. if not are there any other options on putting a cooler somewhere else. thanks for the help. John
Old 03-06-2002, 02:55 PM
t.p.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need an intercooler, especially considering that you are turbocharging an engine with the higher compression of a normally aspirated engine. You need to place the intercooler in a location where it's force-fed air. With Porsches, that's always underneath a whaletail. Japanese cars have'em behind an opening underneath the front bumper, but that's not an option for you because the engine's in the back - the distance the air would have to travel if the I/C were mounted up front would cause a lot of lag (I think).
Old 03-06-2002, 09:23 PM
Tito 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I HAVE A 88 3.2 carrera turbocharged and i been doing some research for some time, my car is running .5 bar non adjustable with no internal modifications and no intercooler,the intercooler will give you the necessary cooling for the .8 otherwise after 2 or 3 runs the temp will be high if you have a temp gauge you will see, the cooler will have to be mounted on top of the engine that will requiare that the condensor will have to be move to the under belly of the car no if ups no way out,the other solution will be a water to air cooler but more pluming water and custom tanks in this cars this is a big problem because the location i ended installing a turbo tail which has the deep and will relocate to the under belly the a/c hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:33 PM
JP
Cruisin'

if you are looking for a intercooler i have all the parts you will need the pipe from turbo to cooler, the throttle housing , the air deflector the seals the cooler to the deck lid, and the intercooler all stock and the o-rings
Old 03-06-2002, 10:58 PM
TCarrera
Advanced

John,
The cooler temps of your hometown don't compare the the ourlet temperature of the turbo, around 250 degress F. under boost. those are the temperatures you are trying to cool back to a reasnable level. All it takes is once to melt a piston or torch a cylinder.
Remember Porsche didn't run intercoolers on the 76 & 77 turbo, but still I wouldn't consider doing a turbo and running any significant boost without one.
Mike at LR
Old 03-06-2002, 11:21 PM
Dean
Instructor

I have an 81 SC with a 75 930 motor in it. I just built an intercooler for it. I have an RS America tail on it that I like. I removed the AC so I could fit an air to air cooler in the engine lid. It took some time to fabricate everything but it came out great. I would recomend an intercooler. You could try a air to water cooler but they are even more money.
Dean
Old 03-07-2002, 12:13 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the 3.6 rs tail too low that won't allow you to install a factory or aftermarket IC? Maybe a factory 930 AC condensor adapted to fit will work? With the 930 rear condensor and your current front valance condensor, you'll have the same set up as a 930. You also might possible need to fabricate an air deflector also to get the most air through the IC and condensor as well, just as I need to after installing a Kokeln on my 930. I think MA Shaw has a 3.8 GT ? tail that is tall enough to clear the intercooler and condensor.

Jim
Old 03-07-2002, 02:58 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

DEAN, can you send me some pictures of your intercooler mounted in your sc so i can get an idea how you did it. also can you tell me what cooler you have and what other parts are needed. thanks John e-mail soundfx2@aol.com
Old 03-07-2002, 11:37 PM
Dean
Instructor

JBrown,
I bought a Spearco core and fabricated the tank ends. I fabricate the mounts for the intercooler. I bought some mandrel bent Alu. tubing and made the inlet and outlet. I also put in a 993 CBV. I will send you some lousy pics soon (cheap camera).
Dean
Old 03-12-2002, 12:15 AM
Dean
Instructor

John,
I took my car out for a test run to measure boost loss in the intercooler. I am loosing 5 psi in the intercooler. So I am going to have to buy a bigger tail and redo the intercooler. I also thought of doing a air/water intercooler with my small tail, but there isn't enough room. So to sum up I couldn't figure a way to put a good intercooler in with a small tail opening.
Good luck
Dean
Old 03-13-2002, 10:43 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

i would like to thank everyone for there advise on my question. and Dean thanks for the pics.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:18 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have a friend with a 3.2 Carrera with a single turbo and small twin intercoolers. The intercoolers are plumbed in parallel and sit either side of the throttle body. It all fits under the stock Carrera lid - no tail. I'm not sure they work all that well. A wing would create some pressure to move more air into them. I think a Carrera tail would do that.

Quick Reply: 911 intercooler ?