1976 930 Restoration Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:55 AM
JCrew7i2
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 930 Restoration Questions

Hi all,

So my dad has a 76 930 that doesn't really need restoration, but there's some imperfections I'd like to clean up for him this year for his bday/Christmas this year. I want to get it cleaned up without devaluing the car.

Interior is pretty clean, no issues needed to clean up there, but a fender could be painted, and the engine would be nice to get cleaned up. Maybe change out the rubber bushings wherever needed, any hoses needed, etc.

It's all stock and I would like to use all oem, or whatever is better, parts if possible. Don't want to mess up his car.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images    
Old 01-15-2014, 10:27 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Leave everything as original as you can, they are only original once. Where are you located and maybe someone can recommend a wrench. You need to be careful where you take car. Beautiful spilt window, is it original?

Phil
Old 01-15-2014, 12:42 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice combo!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:43 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Have you ever been a disappointment to your father? Just seeing if I have a shot at an adoption.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:15 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

I will take care of the P car and could also make arrangements with that other fiberglass car in the picture. I can have a trailer there this week. Just let me know . . . . Hello? hello, you there ??
Old 01-15-2014, 03:42 PM
shlobeck
Advanced

Yeah that's one fine lookin 930. More pics please, is that platinum metallic? Hmm you could clean up certain parts like the wiper arms/blades, refinish the front vent (above the hood), refinish the door frames (matte black) or have them re-anodized. You could also have the original wheels refinished (if you have them) with a new set of shoes. The engine compartment could be steam cleaned but I wouldn’t change any parts. Some of these small changes would help the car “show”, or look good, without compromising its original condition. Maybe just an really good car detail...

But Please, no paint! If it's original leave it that way. I’ve done a lot of these small projects on my
'77 and I’m happy with the results. I don’t think I’ve compromised its originality either. It’s a slippery slope, the car will only be original once. Less is more.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 PM
JCrew7i2
5th Gear

Thanks for the replies. The split window has been repainted, but that's about it.

I'm not sure what color code it is. I'll take some better pics of the areas where I think it could be cleaned up so hopefully get some suggestions on what to do.

He does have the original wheels, so I could get those sent out and get him some new tires. The engine bay I'll see what I can do to clean it up by hand. I just see some pictures of really clean engine bays here and it'd be nice to get it to that condition.

What about the bushings and old suspension parts?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:50 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Naturally rubber parts that are that old are going to suffer from age. For example one that really suffers is spring plate bushings and are not easily renewed. What ever you do....take it to an expert. You have a special car...make sure the person you intrust it to feels that way.

Wheels are relatively easy. Send them to Harvey Weidman. But unless the anodizing is flaking off I wouldn't touch them.

There are some very knowlegeable people that frequent this forum (present company excluded) hopefully they can offer more advice.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:08 PM
dormaj
AutoX

Default 1976 930 color code

I have a 1976 930 with the same color exterior. Can you confirm the color code for me. It is inside the drivers door area forward of the door sill.

Thanks. I can't find a paint chip to verify my color is actually Platinum Metallic, but I know it is the color of your dad's car.

Could you PM me to discuss the car or call 321-412-5six13?

Jeff
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 1976 930 Restoration Questions