911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

1987 930 SLANT NOSE

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1987 930 SLANT NOSE

Hello to all. I'm a new owner of a 1987 930 slant nose turbo car that has been highly modified. Since I know very little about Porsches, I don't know what is stock vs. non-stock. Do any of you own a similar year turbo that can supply some pictures of the trunk area and the engine compartment details ?

Some of the mods in my car are rather obvious;
1) Fuel Safe fuel cell
2) 20 quart remote oil tank located next to the fuel cell in the front compartment
3) K33 turbo (single) with twin waste gates feeding off the headers and no heat exchangers
4) large intercooler
5) twin plug heads mounted on the base 930 block and engine fitted/machined/sorted to be a 962 (claimed) race equivalent engine
6) twin plug distributor and likewise 12 plug wires
7) 18" wheels with Brembo calipers & rotors and appear to be 355 mm in the front and 345 in the back.
8) delete parking brake

I would appreciate any help you can provide.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:07 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you put up some pictures, that might help to get you sorted out?
c
Old 12-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Here are some pictures of the engine and front area. I'll post more pictures tomorrow when I access my office computer;

some pictures show the intercooler and fan removed. I found someone had installed the fan incorrectly by not using the 6 shims prior to the outter pulley and as a result ruined the mounting surface of the fan shaft. I'm replacing the fan, outter pulley, shims, alternator nut and clamping cup. In order to get the fan off or for that matter the belt, I needed to remove the huge billet aluminum transverse engine mount. Of course that required first removing the large turbo sitting in front of the bolts, and well, the entire exhaust system. The intercooler was another necessity. So in order to fix the fan, almost remove the entire engine. It's done now and I've learned a lot about the car as a result. Not that big a deal if time is not a factor.
Attached Images      
Old 12-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow congrats what a black beauty I have a red 930 slant but it ain't close to that shape but hopefully I'm done with it before Summer 2014 starts
Old 12-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Donaldx3
Wow congrats what a black beauty I have a red 930 slant but it ain't close to that shape but hopefully I'm done with it before Summer 2014 starts
Thanks for the kind comments. As you can see, I'm learning about this car and so far don't know much about it. It is in incredibly good shape inside and out. The odometer shows 2500 miles but I can vouch for it's honesty. Condition wise, this car is immaculate. I don't think anyone ever put it on the track. There are no tell tale signs of track use, like the usual road rash behind the wheels from gravel being slung backwards, or pits and scratches on the front nose from the cars ahead slinging stuff backwards. Also, underneath is as clean as on top. It is prepped to be one heck of a track car but hasn't seen that day yet. I race in SCCA TT events in the Southeast with my Lotus super 7 so I know about race cars and what they look like after a few events. I've also raced my 2007 Z06 in TT events, and as quick as that car is, the super 7 is actually quicker.

Having said that, when I took the 930 for a shakedown drive from the seller, I can honestly say that I have never ever felt the kind of raw brute force acceleration that I felt in this thing. I had the boost down to .2 Bar and didn't dare go to the 1.4 Bar it is capable of. We hit 100 mph in what seemed like just a few seconds and things were starting to get a little blurred when I backed off and leaned on the Brembos. This thing is frightfully fast. My buddy races a GT3 and I have spend some time riding with him on various tracks. It is nowhere near as fast as this car, not even close. To tell you the truth, this car actually scares me a bit.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:37 AM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Every new car to us is frightening but once you get use to them and see and feel how they handle ((every car is different)) then the fear goes away it takes time to get use too but all they want is love and care welcome to the club and just know be careful out there those front fenders are hard to come by be safe man and hopefully mine is ready by summer and I'll start a thread just with slant nose beauties
Old 12-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Every new car to us is frightening but once you get use to them and see and feel how they handle ((every car is different)) then the fear goes away it takes time to get use too but all they want is love and care welcome to the club and just know be careful out there those front fenders are hard to come by be safe man and hopefully mine is ready by summer and I'll start a thread just with slant nose beauties
Thanks for the kind words. I'm pleasantly surprised at the warm welcome everyone on this forum has shown and also how very helpful they've been in helping me learn about this car in particular, and Porsches in general. I've always admired the cars and ever since I was old enough to know what a car was, I wanted one. Back in the early days, it was a 356 since the 911 wasn't out yet. My sister's best friend's dad was a barber in Sarasota and he bought the first 911 I had ever seen when it first came out. I drooled over that car. As time passed, the Porsches advanced in technology and performance, and so did the price tag which was well beyond my means. I'm now better off and have started collecting cars and now I have finally achieved my ultimate goal, owning a Porsche. I'll be honest, I never thought I ever would be able to. This car is very special which makes it even better. I race some of my other cars in SCCA but this car won't be raced or abused. It will be cared for with kit gloves and pampered. It will be kept spotless and never lacking for any of its fluids. It is like a part of my soul.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

After doing some research, I've found the "creator" of my car, or at least the engine part of it. I was able to find an amazing similar build of my engine on the vwvortex forum that referenced an article in Excellence Magazine published in December 1995. The article titled "From Hype to Hypersonic" by David Colman went on to describe a car owner who hired the legendary Neil Harvey to build what amounted to a stock appearing 930 slant nose with a OMG motor. For those not familiar with Neil Harvey, originally from New Zealand, has extensive experience in all types of racing design and engineering and most notably in Formula 1 when he worked under Ecclestone. He is to F1 what Shelby was to Ford and the AC Cobra.

The article described how the customer had brought in a car that someone had badly assembled a list of go fast parts from a catalog of high performance parts but didn't bother to engineer the design. So he scrapped the engine and built a new one after the Porsche 962 design. The customer wanted 600+ horsepower. If you research the link, you will notice that the 930 in the article is a 1989 white coupe model whereas mine is an 87 black cab. Mine was the next project that Neil did for an attorney living in Los Vegas. The customer wanted to retain some of the luxuries of the car like a/c and power windows which were ripped out of the first car Neil Harvey built. The customer had money and Neil Harvey certainly had the capability of making it happen.

In 1996, the editor of Road and Track Magazine came in to visit Neil Harvey and his shop in Los Angeles as he would do from time to time to see what project Neil was creating. He saw the black Porsche that Neil was working on and asked Neil if he would consider entering the car in the next 0-100-0 shootout that R&T was doing. Of course the permission had to come from the owner of the car, which he readily authorized. If anyone cares to read about the test, the car went against some notable competition which included a Lambo, a specially prepared twin turbo Porsche from the factory, and others in similar standing. Neil told me the Porsche he built had huge Brembos but no ABS. The other cars had ABS. I had the pleasure of speaking with this humble legend on Monday night. He smoked the competition in the 0-100 part but fell off the mark in the 100-0 part when all the wheels locked up. For the record, he still holds the record of 13.7 seconds and is the 4th fastest of all times in the total 0-100-0. He was faster than the Saleen S7 (14.3), the Dodge Viper (15.0) and a host of other cars like Lambos, Mercs, etc. For those interested the test was part of the August 1996 R&T publication and can be seen at;

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...-100-0-history

I had no idea of the history of this car when I bought it several months ago, and I certainly had no idea of what went into making this car. The display board that came with the car has made some incorrect claims. The biggest one is claiming that Ed Pink Race Engines built this motor, and it's a fact they did not, Neil Harvey did. The tire sizes listed on the board are also wrong, the claimed rear tire of 335's is really a 315 mm tire. However, everything else seems to line up. Neil told me he thought he still had the dyno test on this engine, and if he finds it he'll forward it to me. He has already sent me a bunch of photos of the build, the special oil cooler design in the front of the car, the special billet aluminum engine mounts, the a/c compressor mounting bracket, jack shaft and attaching hardware. This thing is a work of art and I feel so very fortunate to have it in my posesssion. I'll post some pictures of his build.
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
onboost (03-21-2024)
Old 12-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Nasty930boss
5th Gear

That is so awesome! A true work of art
Old 12-18-2013, 03:07 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow! That engine looks phenomenal...post more pics of the entire car when you get a chance also Pelican Parts forums have a huge 930 following with plenty of technical discussions with knowledgeable folks.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Here are some more pictures of the outside of the car.
Attached Images      
Old 12-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Wow what a true beauty man jealous of how the car looks

Don't sell it if you do I'm a buyer for the right price but wow love the car those wheels are really nice what are they?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Also lucky you, you get to enjoy it almost all year round here in NY it's maybe 3 months of enjoyment
Old 12-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Also lucky you, you get to enjoy it almost all year round here in NY it's maybe 3 months of enjoyment
Yes, we get to play with our toys year around. However, when it's 99 degrees in August, and the humidity is hovering at 88%, we feel pain.

Thanks for the kind words on the car. I'm fortunate to have found this gem. The downside of the car is my limited ability to use it. It burns 110 octane fuel and I can't take the chance of breaking anything on this car since the replacement parts are few and far between, and if available, at a very high cost. Thanks to Neil Harvey in Costa Mesa, I'm now better able to understand what's in this car and to some degree how it works. Thanks for looking in on this.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:31 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks fast just standing there...play safely

Quick Reply: 1987 930 SLANT NOSE