911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Differnces between the Euro and US models

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 11:21 AM
Andrew Thompson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Differnces between the Euro and US models

OK, a friend of a friend has an 81 Euro 930. It's one of those "gray" market cars. On the door sill there is a riveted tag saying it was imported by so and so, (some shady place in Brooklyn), and all the vehicle info. His car is fast, he says it has 330 HP stock. Why is this? What are the differences besides the absence of a cat. The car is definately faster than mine stock.

thanks in advance

andrew
Old 09-06-2001, 11:54 AM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hi Andrew - I have an 86 Euro model and it was the fastest of the 930s we test drove. It was stock expect for a new turbo when we bought it. Other than the Cat, which is usually added when the car is imported to the U.S., the Euro cars have a different fuel injection system which most agree is a better system than in the U.S. models. The suspension is also a little lower. Other than that, I am unaware of any major differences (unless you count the side marker lights on the front fenders).
Old 09-06-2001, 12:15 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

C'Mon, You don't have to say "It's one of those "gray" market cars", like it has some sort of disease.

Differences are minor though as ZCAT pointed out.

Brian Smith
1983 EURO 930 - (gray market to those who prefer the term)
My 930
Old 09-06-2001, 12:43 PM
Andrew Thompson
Intermediate

Smile

Thanks guys. I wasn't putting down the gray market!! I am in favor of it. I wish mine came with all those Euro goodies. Now I have to buy the 1200 dollar fuel system. Damn, more money, Haha

andrew
Old 09-06-2001, 02:20 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up

I prefer the Euro cars as well. People spend thousands of dollars to change the suspension and fuel system on the U.S. cars back to the Euro specs. Plus those little side markers sure are nifty. I think people have had problems in the past registering cars brought into the U.S. from Europe due to emissions issues, so there is a negative stigma attached.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:03 PM
t.p.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the euro had a different suspension. It was just set lower. You too can lower your car to euro specs with a simple socket wrench. Buy a euro muffler (circumventing the catalytic converter)and voila!

Quick Reply: Differnces between the Euro and US models