911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Vehicle Weight

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 06:56 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vehicle Weight

This is probably a stupid question so be nice. The manual lists 2 weights - one vehicle weight and one max load weight. Is the vehicle weight (curb weight) the weight of the car empty with no fluids and no people or is it the weight of the car ready to go with a full tank and no people (or something else)? Thanks.
Old 09-06-2001, 04:08 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by ZCAT3:
<STRONG>This is probably a stupid question so be nice. The manual lists 2 weights - one vehicle weight and one max load weight. Is the vehicle weight (curb weight) the weight of the car empty with no fluids and no people or is it the weight of the car ready to go with a full tank and no people (or something else)? Thanks.</STRONG>
Brother Bill:

The only stupid questions are the ones that are never asked,.....this is how we all learn. I for one, never quit asking questions of those that know more than I,... That's what makes it fun & rewarding to work everyday.

The vehicle weight is generally also referred to as "Curb Weight". This is what the car weighs with fluids but no people inside.

Max load weight is the total amount that the car can weigh with full fuel, oil, cargo, (if any) and occupants. This prevents tire & suspension overload.
Old 09-06-2001, 02:35 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Steve - the manual was not too clear. In fact, I find the Porsche manuals in general to be entertaining reading. One of my favorite parts is what to do when a rear tire goes flat.
Old 09-06-2001, 02:48 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Let me pose a few more questions that arose when trying to corner balance my vehicle:
(1) with removal of stock exhaust system and installation of stainless steel headers and muffler, has the weight changed appreciably?
(2) what are the appropriate weight distributions, front/rear and left/right, to use for corner balancing in a car with these modifications?
Old 09-06-2001, 08:21 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by ZCAT3:
<STRONG>Thanks Steve - the manual was not too clear. In fact, I find the Porsche manuals in general to be entertaining reading. One of my favorite parts is what to do when a rear tire goes flat.</STRONG>
LOL,....I too, think the manuals are quite "interesting".

I'm almost afraid to read that part about flat tire problems.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:35 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Oh - that is where you find out that the space saver spare cannot be used on the rear of the car. You are supposed to switch one of the front tires to the rear and then put the space saver on the front. You have only one jack, so this would be fun. I think they should just say "if your rear tire goes flat, we recommend you call Triple A"
Old 09-07-2001, 12:52 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't the jack lift the entire side of the car? The view from the rear would be interesting, with one tire wider than the other. Will a rear wheel fit in the trunk so you don't have to put it in the front seat?

At least it's better than the new M3, where you get a can of tire-fix and the phone number to roadside assistance (really helps a lot in the middle of the desert with a cut tire).

BTW Zcat, your email is blocked. Drop me a line at pig4bill@yahoo.com, thanks.

Quick Reply: Vehicle Weight