Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Pig, Steve, Michael, Michele, et al - I did the Dyno!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 08:30 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Pig, Steve, Michael, Michele, et al - I did the Dyno!

Well the car felt so great after the modifications, I couldn't resist getting it dynoed. Other than the fact that this is scary loud - like the car is going to blow up - I was surprised at the Dyno results. The gentleman who ran the test says the car qualifies as a beast. The numbers are: 371 RWHP and 380 RWTQ. I am told to adjust 10 - 15% to get flywheel HP numbers - which puts the car at 410 - 425 HP at the crank (and this is using crappy CA gas)!

Looking under the car while they strap her down.
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Mvc-001f.jpg

On the Dyno - very loud!
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Mvc-002f.jpg

The Dyno results!
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Mvc-005f.jpg
Old 08-31-2001, 08:56 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hmm - using Michael's .85 figure, that gives us 437 crank HP (that seems really high??). As an aside, the guy who did the dyno at DynoSpot printed a comparison dyno chart against another modified 930 they dynoed a while back. Here it is (in case you can't read the numbers they are 371 RWHP vs. 318 RWHP and 379 RWTQ vs. 327 RWTQ.

Old 08-31-2001, 11:22 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just for future reference, what did they charge for the dyno test? Any tuning while on the dyno?
Old 08-31-2001, 11:32 PM
Michele
8th Gear

Hi JBH - this is Bill (posting from wife Michele's account) - the Dyno run was $85 for an hour on the machine. I was by myself, so no tuning was possible. We ran 3 tests and the results kept getting better (probably due to the engine warming up and hitting its stride). I could not stand to listen to another test (it really does sound like the engine is heading to oblivion). I still had about 30 minutes on the Dyno when I said enough.
Old 09-01-2001, 02:04 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yowza!! Great job. It seems like you chose a very good combination of mods that really work well together. It appears the dyno shop had no fan blowing into the intercooler so it may have even more power over the road. Now I have to beg or bribe or coerce my way into getting a ride in your Beast.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:00 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Pig - they did but a fan pointing into the tail after a few minutes - mostly at my request as I did not want to melt the car. It was probably 90 degress in the dyno shop and the car was already warm from the drive. The oil temp gauge only got a bit above the normal running temp and the dyno results got a bit better as the oil got warmer. I suspect another run would have yielded even better results, but I couldn't stand it.

The DynoSpot guys tell me there is a 76 station in Almaden that has 100 octane gas, so Michele wants to drive down there perhaps tomorrow to get some high test. E-mail me directly if you will be around and we can perhaps arrange for a ride for you.
Old 11-02-2001, 01:45 PM
79hotrod
Intermediate

ZCAT, I was wondering what you've done in terms of mods to your turbo. I have a 79 with 39K miles, that has been tinkered with. I have the euro exhaust, K27, Kokeln IC, upgraded oil cooler, HKS electronic boost (which, dare I say, I've run at 1.4 bar), and the Andial fuel enrichment system. This thing flies, while I haven't had it dyno'd, I'm suspecting it runs upwards of 350 hp at the rear. I was wondering if your mods were similar. Thanks. Dave.
Old 11-02-2001, 05:13 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Dave - we have done what I think are most of the simple modifications you can do to a 930 without going into the engine. Our mods are:

K27 Turbo
Kokeln IC
SC Cams
GHL Headers
Mille Miglia exhaust
Andial 1 Bar Spring
Lightweight clutch and flywheel

The car is tuned very nicely and is probably operating at optimum performance right now. If we went further with this, the next mods would likely be 3.4 liters, twin plug, fuel enrichment, etc.
Old 11-03-2001, 03:22 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Bill,
It has been a while since I have been over here. Great work on the dyno. Consider yourself in the supercar group!! Glad to see it all worked out. Just think, there is still more in there to tap
Stephen
Old 11-13-2001, 08:15 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hey Stephen - saw your TT motor on the upgrades thread - holy cow. How do you drive that thing (is it legal). After our DE event, I fear our car is a bit overpowered for my driving ability, but the thought of one day going to twin plug, twin turbos, etc. is enticing.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:36 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Bill,
Yes it is legal. It even has AC, Heat, Power sport seats and even a baby seat. Hardest part is keeping it in between the ditches Just point and shoot.
Stephen

Quick Reply: Pig, Steve, Michael, Michele, et al - I did the Dyno!