911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Clutch question for 911 turbo 86

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 01:26 AM
Luis
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clutch question for 911 turbo 86

I have bought an 86 911 turbo, but it seems it will need a new clutch. How can you tell when a clutch goes bad? Is there some sort of testing? It appears to shift ok. I have called parts stores to get prices on the clutch kit for this car, but some have offered to sell me the spring center-disk and not the rubber-center disk. They sustain that the spring center is more reliable. Is there any problem with this modification. I understand that early 930 turbos model years 1976/7 had the spring center, and that Porsche changed it to the rubber center and later to the hydraulic type. Am I correct? By the way, the car is stock and I do not track it. Does anybody have an idea how much will labor be? Thanks for your help?
Luis
Old 08-31-2001, 08:53 PM
Michele
8th Gear

Luis-

Our 930 just had the clutch replaced (among other things). Prior to replacement, I noticed alot of lugging, shimmying and vibration as I accelerated from a stop in first gear. Also had difficulty getting the car into and out of first. It would vibrate so strongly that the gear shift would occasionally pop out of first.

We installed a performance clutch with lightweight flywheel for about $2,500-3K. (actual labor hard to track given the other modifications - see "bolt on modifications" thread) HUGE difference! Apparently the engine has to come out to replace the clutch, so if you're considering any other performance modifications - it's a good time to do it.

Hope this helps...
-Michele
Old 09-03-2001, 02:03 PM
garrickl
RIP

I have a 1978 930 with engine mods and a 915 5 speed and the factory clutch could not handle the added torque. The former owner installed a RSR factory racing clutch that only lasted 15,000 at a replacement cost of $1800 for parts alone. I went with an aftermarket unit made my Centerforce and am extremely pleased with it. Parts cost approx $850 and it is easy on the leg and has enormous clamping power when you stand on it. According to other owners you can expect 50-60,000 miles from it. Do not put back in the rubber centered original unit. They done last and can disintegrate.

Quick Reply: Clutch question for 911 turbo 86