Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Diagnostic help, please. Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 11:00 AM
'89turbo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diagnostic help, please. Starter?

'89 911 turbo, all stock. Won't turn over after turning off motor, but only when engine hot. Short trip, stop and start fine. Run to normal temp, though, no restart til cools down. Starter going out? What other possibilities, and how determine? Thanks a bunch. Great board!
Old 07-30-2001, 03:31 PM
'89turbo
3rd Gear

Update. Did a search on this BB and see this is a topic covered previously. No clicking at all when hot, push starts with no prob. Could be solenoid on starter, starter, battery ground strap, engine ground strap, direct cable from battery to starter, battery. That about cover it? Now, just spend the money and replace all of it for piece of mind on this 12 year old car, or bit at time and keep fingers crossed to see if fixes problem? What would you do? Also, what is the after market "starter relay kit" I see in my performance products mag? Use it, too?
Old 07-30-2001, 05:24 PM
Andrew Thompson
Intermediate

my car would die after it warmed up and no restart untill it was cool. turned out to be the coil. cheap easy fix
Old 07-30-2001, 06:32 PM
'89turbo
3rd Gear

thanks, Andy, but mine doesn't die when warm or run oddly at all. Just won't restart, no noise at all, after i intentionally turn it off after it's warm, like when stopping for gas or to run into a store. That's why I'm thinking starter/similar related. Coil? New can of worms. Maybe time to go to shop$$$$$$$$. Was hoping to run it down and fix myself.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:06 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
the only way to tell for sure is to check it when it happens. Drive it around, get it good and hot bring it back home, when it acts up check the yellow wire on the starter for power (two person job) while someone trys to crank it. If it is not hot when cranking, problem is before starter, if it is hot, problem is starter. Try this, and let us know if you need more help....
Marc

Quick Reply: Diagnostic help, please. Starter?