911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Performance exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 09:27 AM
Louis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Performance exhaust

I have an '87 930 with B&B headers and a single 3" tip exhaust. Looking to change to a dual tip 4" or 4.5". I like the round tips but just learned that B&B only makes them in oval. Can I use a different muffler with the B&B headers? Looking for a different sound.
I understand that the dual 4" ers will certainly be louder, but that is not a problem to me nor my neighbors. I would like to hear from other PO's about the systems they have. Thanks
Old 11-14-2001, 05:32 AM
930 Turbo
Advanced

Louis,

One of the most cost effective ways to go is to gut out your existing silencer and have the pipes you want welded to it. I heard a 930 on the weekend with this done - it sounded incredible (it sounded more aggressive than my Diablo!)

Good luck,
Narinder
Old 11-14-2001, 01:16 PM
79hotrod
Intermediate

I had the dual outlet BB oval exh w/ headers on a 79 turbo. It was loud. So loud it was sort of obnoxious for street use especially when the waste gate opened up. Even with sound new proofing in the car it was too much to really enjoy for anything over an hour. It was fun because on hard shifts you'd get some good flames exiting the pipes (scaring anyone behind trying to keep up) Anyway, that car was stolen and I replaced it with another 79 that has the single outlet euro exhaust. Now I have the same performance and can listen to music while I drive. I'm 25 and like everything loud and fast but the BB header and 4in dual was a bit too much for me.
Old 11-14-2001, 03:21 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have the hollowed ot stock muffler with headers and have never heard anything that sounded as nice. And you can't beat the price. As for the noise, 930s are streetable race cars. Obnoxious goes with the territory.

Look at all the money I saved. By hollowing out the muffler, I no longer need to upgrade the stereo (Not that I could hear it anyway)... I keep my volume turned down so as not to interfere with the music.

I also don't need to fix the air conditioning. To use A/C you have to put up the windows. If I put up the windows, I can't enjoy the sound... See?

The other mod I had done was to move the outlet from the left under the turbo to exit out the right of the car. The theory being that on the track the tail pipe gets r-e-a-l-l-y hot. Having the exhaust pass so near the cold housing of the turbo, your heating the intake unnecessarily.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:25 PM
RD
2nd Gear

I read in Bruce Anderson's Porsche's performance handbook that on 1986 and later 930's only the cat. and muffler require changing. How restrictive is the U.S Muffler if a test pipe is used in place of the cat?
Old 11-15-2001, 09:41 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I gutted my B&B single outlet muffler and love the sound on my '87 930. Kind of loud at idle but, once moving, it sounds great. I can even hear the turbo whine as it spools up. At cruising speed,I can't even tell any difference in the noise level.

I had my wife drive the car down the street and back and it sounded awesome (although she was putting around in first gear. It was in the neighborhood and the first time she's ever driven it)

Obviously it would be cheaper to gut your stock muffler and probably get the same results. I just didn't have one.

Can't wait until I hit the track and hear the results at really high speeds. Plus the extra flameage should look great.

Jim [img]null[/img]

Quick Reply: Performance exhaust