3.2 shortstroke

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Ron Knowles
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 3.2 shortstroke

I would like to get a little more performance from my 3 liter. I’m considering building a 3.2 sort stroke and have some questions. I’ve already done the usual performance modifications and I would like to avoid having to go to the expense of purchasing a 3.3 and starting over. I’m interested in getting some data on HP and torque from someone that has already done this. Any information or comments would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:49 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I have a 3.2 shortstoke based off a 3.0 liter. I love the power but i have alot of other stuff done also. intercooler,k-2700 turbo, fuel inrichment,3.3 liter fuel heads, ghl header and exhaust,ported to 37mm, cams, The car runs assume, I have never had it dynoed but am told i should be in the 350 to 375 wrhp.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Ron Knowles
Addict
Rennlist Member

It sounds like what I’m considering. Mine runs well right now but we can always use a little more power. I’ve done so much to the engine that I hate to start over. I had extensive work done on the cases. All threaded holes have been helicoiled, all surfaces checked and decked if necessary, align bored, cases relieved to accept the 3.3 liter turbo oil pump and everything has been balanced. Also, new intermediate shaft and crank drive gear, new cam drive gears, idler gears and shafts, updated idler gear support arms and hydraulic tensioners, new chains and guide rails, rocker arms and shafts and SC cams. The compression has been increased to 7/1, K27-7006 and a 1 bar spring. I’m using an Andial/Garretson long neck intercooler and euro exhaust. I’m also running a lightened flywheel, 225mm-sport clutch and a 915 trans. with a pump and spray bar and also a Tilton electric pump for the oil cooler. Off the top of my head that’s what I recall about the engine modifications. What I’m considering doing now is changing the P&Cs, probably using JE pistons at 7.5/1 compression, a GHL header and a Borla XR-1 muffler. I’m also considering some head work but I’ve heard a lot of different opinions about port /manifold size vs. low end performance loss and I haven’t yet decided what to do in this area. I constantly have to remind myself that this is a street car and I have to pass California smog requirements, at least for two more years.

So this brings me to some questions I have about your conversion. I’m curious about what pistons and cylinders you’re using at what compression ratio. In Southern California we don’t have the greatest pump gas available. What cams are you running? Also, it sounds like you’ve changed the fuel distributor and are using some type of fuel enrichment device also. If so, what are you using?
Old 06-11-2003, 07:23 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I am using JE pistons 7.5 to 1 comp and mahle cylinders and andial fuel inrichment . I also have the same intercooler. I am not sure what cams i have though but i could find out

Quick Reply: 3.2 shortstroke