Throttle Latency and Response

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 01:09 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Throttle Latency and Response

I've recently noticed that my 83 930 has a "delay" in the throttle. As if the throttle linkage is incorrectly adjusted.

When I press the gas, it is as if I have to get the gas pedal down quite a way before I actually start getting additional RPM's.

I'm not familiar with the throttle linkage on an early 80's 911 or 930, so I was hoping someone could tell me if the linkage can be adjusted - or can it even work itself out of adjustment? (I'm not sure how it is made)

When fully to the floor I receive all of the power normally expected from the car. But off of a corner, or leaving a light, there is a period of time before I actually start getting additional power.

Also, this is not a turbo-lag issue. I'm familiar with this and my car does have turbo lag. But that is not what this problem is.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-29-2001, 10:51 PM
pete77930
Racer

Smile

I'm not an expert on this topic but... while my 77' was in the shop, I was looking at it under the lift and the gas pedal linkage consists of a metal dowel rod that connects to a lever on the tranny housing, from that lever theres a cable that goes to your manifold(you'll get a great veiw of your manifold if you remove your inner cooler, very simple) I'm pretty sure the cable can be tightened. I've noticed that a lot of older 911's in general have this problem.
consult a mechanic before donig this though.
Pete
Old 07-10-2001, 07:11 PM
jules
3rd Gear

Wink

Hi,
It's actually pretty simple to adjust. I just did it on my 76 930 after updating to a 3.3 manifold and intercooler. With your cooler off you can access the linkage that connects to the throttle body. It is real easy to get to if you also remove the blow off valve housing. Once you see the linkage, remove the very small snap ring that holds it to the throtle body (don't drop it, you will never find it again). Next remove the rest of the linkage ( about 6" long) from the top of your engine block. There is a plate bolted to the top of your block that acts as a sort of transfer from the interior dowel that attaches to your pedal. The little linkage connects there, and will just pop off w/ a small screwdriver. Now pull on the piece where you poped the linkage off the transfer. This will take the slack out of the pedal. Now re-adjust the 6" linkage to fill the gap between the transfer and throttle body. Leave just a hair of play so the throttle body does not stay open at idle. Reconnect all your pieces and you should have your response back. I am putting in some seals tomorrow, and can send you some pics if you need them.
Hope this helps,
Julian

Quick Reply: Throttle Latency and Response