Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Advice re: purchase of 87 Turbo

Old 06-24-2001, 12:16 AM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Advice re: purchase of 87 Turbo

I have the opportunity to purchase an 87 turbo that is in very close to concourse condition (it is the cleanest 87 911 I have seen and I used to own a very nice 911 Coupe). The catch is high mileage - almost 120K. The car drives very strong and I will have a mechanical inspection before buying. The price is around 28K and the car is really beautiful. The first 86K miles were put on in the first 4 years of the car's life. Since 1991 only 33K has been added. The maintenance records are extensive and solid. It is almost impossible to believe how clean the car is given the mileage. Is there any reason to worry about this high mileage? 87 Carerras this clean (if there are any) with well over 100K miles would easily fetch low to mid 20s in the SF Bay Area, so this seems like a good deal.
Old 06-24-2001, 02:17 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If this is the one I think it is, note that it also has a small dent in the hood as well as in the door.

But, I agree, it sure does look nice. However, remember that those miles can never be removed no matter how nice the condition is. That tends to put a damper on the market price even if that particular one is extra-nice. If it's still the original engine and the leakdown indicates a rebuild, that's a serious expense.
Old 06-24-2001, 11:46 AM
Mark W
Intermediate

Thumbs up

It's good to see someone else consider a clean high mileage turbo. Everyone thought I was out of my mind when I bought my '89 with 96K miles on the clock but it's turned out to be one of the best deals I've seen. Given that you have the advantage of the complete history of the car (I only have records from the first 2 years and the last 4) and if the PPI checks out then it sounds like a sweet deal.

My '89 was one of the cleanest '80s vintage turbos I looked at. I contend that if the car is maintained to the level that it still looks good after 13 years then there is a high probability that the PO took pride in the car and maintained it as needed. With proper maintanence and no serious boy racer aspirations there's no reason a turbo can't go to 150K miles without major work.

It's true that you can't erase the miles when if comes to resale but given the market for clean turbos and a $28k entry price I don't see what you have to lose. Assuming, of course, that the PPI turns up clean.

Even if you need to go into the motor in the next year or so and spend $10k on mechanicals you end up with a very clean '87 turbo with new mechanicals that in my mind is worth way more than an average condition "low" mileage turbos you see every month in the magazines.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 06-25-2001, 03:45 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

pig4bill (Bill?) - I think you must have seen the same car. You have a good eye, those 3 dings are the only cosmetic blemishes of note I could find on the body as well. Yesterday I drove the other 87 turbo they had in stock back to back with the white one. The other turbo had around 60-70K on it and the white one drove much better (supporting Mark's theory).

I am having a PPI completed at CT Automotive. They did warn me that a 930 with that mileage on it could be fair game for all types of problems. From the service records with the car, every time any minor issue arose in the past, the owner had it fixed, so perhaps it will come through the PPI in good shape.
Old 06-26-2001, 03:48 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

zcat, good luck with it. What a coincidence you are using CT. I know them because someone I used to work with has a husband who's a mechanic there, and friends have had work done by them. Please post your results.

Wish I was in the market for one of those right now, but until the summer layoff season is over, I am guarding my wallet closely.
Old 06-26-2001, 04:02 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Well CT gave me the lowdown - cosmetically, they rate the car very high (which I already new), and everything works (even the AC, despite the lack of cold air). The engine, however, is another story. Basically the car drives and runs as it should - it is a kick to drive this baby. But - the engine leaks a lot of oil and the transmission is leaking as well. There was so much oil in the engine, they could not tell where it was all coming from. They ran a compression test and all cylinders were 125-130 (apparently what you want in a 930) but for one which was at 110. This concerned them as well. One of the head gaskets also leaked. Basically, they said I could drive the car as it is as for a time and it should run fine (as long as I don't mind the oil leaking - which I do). At some point, however, in the near future it will be necessary to repair those leaks. They guess 5K to clean the engine and then repair all the leaks. If it turns out the leaky head gasket is chipped or cracked, you can add another 3K. To rebuild the entire engine is 10-12K. So they thought 25K would be a good price building in the work to be done. I doubt the car can be purchased for that.
Old 06-26-2001, 09:37 PM
Mark W
Intermediate

Angry

That's too bad. It sounded like a realy good deal up to the point you mentioned head gasket

Are you considering it for the $25k? I'd be on the fence because I'm pretty sure that you could get a strong stock rebuild for around $10k.

You'd have a beautiful $35k '87 turbo with a zero mile motor package. All in all not a bad place to be

Good luck whatever you decide.

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: Mark W ]
Old 06-26-2001, 11:16 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Mark - I suggested 25K and they were not interested. I think they have some other buyers in the backup position. The car runs fine now (as long as you don't mind oil leaks). So, I am stil looking. It was a nice car - white with tan full leather interior, etc., etc.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:35 PM
Mark W
Intermediate

Bummer.

Oh well, keep your chin up and keep looking. I stumbled into mine almost by accident. I think it's a karma thing with Porsches
Old 06-27-2001, 02:14 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Zcat, sorry to hear about the motor. In retrospect you could almost see it coming. Those guys generally have fair prices, but seldom a bargain.

You might check back in a month. Those backup buyers may dry up after they get it checked out. If you can get it at a good price it would be a nice excuse, er umm, opportunity to put a few "enhancements" into the motor as long as it's apart.
Old 06-27-2001, 11:24 AM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good call on your PPI. I had a compression check done and saw similar numbers. When the motor was torn down there was a broken head stud which caused a leaking (blown) head gasket.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice re: purchase of 87 Turbo