Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Power Flow intake?

Old 06-13-2001, 05:06 PM
pete77930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power Flow intake?

I have a 1977 Turbo Carrera with the 3 liter motor. the previous owner has installed an intercooler from an 86' 930, I was wondering if a power flow intake for a 78-89 turbo would work? also, how much hp could I expect to gain and when will the boost come on?
Thanks,
Pete
Old 06-15-2001, 08:50 PM
pete77930
Racer

Anybody????????????
Old 06-15-2001, 10:42 PM
Bob 87 930
AutoX

I put the powerflow intake on in combination with the B&B header and muffler and a quicker spooling turbo the package made a huge difference. Unfortunately I can't say what the intake contributed HP wise. But I can tell you it makes an awesome sound when it is gulping air on boost.

Good luck

Bob
Old 06-16-2001, 11:25 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Pete:

Bob made a LOT of changes at one time and the B&B header/muffler systems as well as a modern turbo will make a very big difference in throttle response. Its well worth it!

I will tell you that we have compared the 930 Powerflow and a modified air cleaner cover on our flow bench as well as our engine dyno with similar results. The Powerflow exhibited some intake turbulence that is not present on the Factory air cleaner assembly and for that reason, we do not recommend nor use them.

Our street engined 930's with modified air cleaner covers have adequate airflow to support 3.4 & 3.5 litre, 450-460 HP engines.

I would recommend adding 5-6, 1.5" holes to the existing cover that will add additional airflow capacity and well as a little more intake noise. This is a darn sight cheaper and more effective than a simple plastic replacement airbox.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 06-16-2001, 11:41 AM
Lane
Intermediate

Pete,in regard to hp. I have asked this question many times with no real response. I asked if any one has dynoed their engine before or after? No response, except for the intake sound. But someone ,I forget who it was, did dyno their engines and found that in the stock filter housing if you cut holes or removed the air filter top it resulted in a significant increase in hp. But a 28 hp. increase like the Powerflow people say ? Don't really know about that.
Lane
Old 06-16-2001, 03:16 PM
Pete911air
Instructor

Thank you Steve Weiner.
Please speak out against useless performance parts and misleading claims and hp. figures.
Old 06-16-2001, 06:00 PM
David Griswold
Track Day

Steve-

I have heard much about the holes in the cover for the 3.2 and 3.6, but have not heard of people doing this to the 3.3 airbox...

Do you have pictures, or recommendations as to where to add the holes?

David
Old 06-17-2001, 03:30 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Steve, I have a Ruf 3.4 and apperently from what everyone says when they look at my airbox is that it is a little different then stock. It has a curve in it that the stock airbox does not have. Do you think that Ruf already did all the research, or do you think I would have the same benefits from drilling some holes in the cover ?
Old 06-19-2001, 05:47 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Gents:

We have been doing this modification since 1978 on the higher HP street turbo engines that we do.
I usually drill the additional holes in the cover mid-point down the side just below the outer curve of the metal. This helps keep some water out of the air cleaner.

I have not seen the Ruf airbox assembly but given their attention to detail and past history of results, I can imagine that they have addressed this issue in their high-powered turbo's as well. I do remember examining that first "Yellow Bird" car in pictures very closely,.....

I simply wanted people to not spend their hard-earned money unnecessarily on products that they do not need. Lord knows, there are still plenty of good ways to do this,.......
Old 06-27-2001, 02:07 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks Steve and all for bringing up this topic. I have been thinking about this for a while now. I even have dyno charts from people selling this stuff showing a definite increase in power and torque too.

Now I know better. It would be nice to see a picture of that Steve is talking about.

Steve, a question for you.

Will the combination of the drilled airbox cover and a K&N filter (direct replacement) better than stock filter and drilled airbox cover.

I also wonder that if aftermarket intake products such as the Powerflow is so great how come most if not all of the world famous Porsche tuners don't have them on their cars.

Sonny

Old 06-27-2001, 09:16 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally posted by Sonny Vo C2 Turbo:
<STRONG>Thanks Steve and all for bringing up this topic. I have been thinking about this for a while now. I even have dyno charts from people selling this stuff showing a definite increase in power and torque too.

Now I know better. It would be nice to see a picture of that Steve is talking about.

Steve, a question for you.

Will the combination of the drilled airbox cover and a K&N filter (direct replacement) better than stock filter and drilled airbox cover.

I also wonder that if aftermarket intake products such as the Powerflow is so great how come most if not all of the world famous Porsche tuners don't have them on their cars.

Sonny

</STRONG>
Hi Sonny:

I will talk to few local clients and see if they can bring their car by so I can get picture for you. In my experience, these mods do very little in a stock 260-300 HP Turbo but they do help on the ones that make over 400 HP.

Thus far, I've never observed any evidence that a K&N or BMC airfilter will make more power than a fresh, clean OEM paper element installed the stock airbox of the 911-based Porsche.

The Factory REALLY did their homework and matched the stock aircleaner and its filtering media to the airflow of a stock engine or one that operates within the original RPM range. If the OEM paper element get clogged over time, then the oiled gauze elements from K&N and BMC do flow more air when they are plugged to the same degree.

The main redeeming reason to purchase and install such things is to save some money in replacement cost, not in the quest for more performance.

Regarding the Powerflow devices out there;
Anywhere and anytime someone sees an opportunity to make a buck, things like this always appear. Some products are well tested and do offer some improvement for some cars that suffer from a deficiency in design or manufacture that was done by the maker for reasons like packaging, noise or emissions....

In the case of Porsche cars, they are well executed in most components for what the original design critera was intended to do. Certainly they represent a compromise and for each of us, there will be things that we all seek to improve upon for our specific uses.

My advice would be to speak with, and deal with the folks in this business who are reputable and their integrity is beyond reproach. Your interests should be above their own in any transaction,....

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Flow intake?