911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Musings on a few days with a 930

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 PM
luke-44
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Musings on a few days with a 930

Last winter a good friend of mine and fellow Porsche nut in Germany asked me to watch out for a US 930 for him. Prices in Europe are approaching 50000 euros with low mileage cars commanding more, and I was able to find him one that saved him considerable money all things considered. And the best part for him was it was a grey market 930 so it had neat things like the right headlamps, sidemarkers and small rear bumperettes. The only condition I had was that I could tie the delivery of the car into a business trip, and deliver it to him person. Well, the last few days has been that time.

In summary, it was what can best be described as a bucket-list type of deal. 3 days in Germany in a perfectly running 930. What else can I say?

Picked the car up just south of Rotterdam yesterday and was mainly on the autobahn from Rossendal NL to Frankfurt most of the afternoon - regular speeds well over 100 mph. Ran out of gas 2 minutes after leaving the pick-up warehouse (cars must be shipped near empty) - I was 10' short of the gas pump when it happened. Really. Talk about lucky. The only thing I can find wrong with the car is the gas gauge is stuck on 1/4. Even the ac works. Oh and 137 euros to fill the tank. Ouch.

Today was much more relaxed. After another meeting deep in the German countryside about an hour SW of Frankfurt, I spent the afternoon on small back roads, traveling from village to village. The car is a great high speed cruiser on the autobahn, but then again lots of other cars are too. It just ran with the flow but a lot of Mercs, Panameras and big BM's were blowing by me. Not that the car didn't have lots of grunt left, but I was not comfortable pushing it much more. You get to thinking about something breaking on a 30 yr old car that is not yours at those speeds.... oh, and I was surprised how much I didn't miss a 5 speed.

But it's on the small twisty back roads where it really comes into its own. If you want to pass a slower car or big truck, the turbo spools up and it pushes you back in your seat and it's instantaneous. The best is when you are on a steep and windy up-hill - drop down a gear and push the pedal and bamm! You are past the guy.

Gets lots of attention in the parking lots. Many people know exactly what it is. "May I take photo". "Best Porsche ever made". Lots of good comments and friendly people. What a car culture in Germany.

All in all, these last 2 days have been incredible. But now that it's almost over (I drop it off to its new home tomorrow), I also realize what I have with my RSA, (about the same HP, similar looks at a glance, and more modern inside than the 930).

So, I'm going to be OK saying goodbye to my friends red 930 and getting back to reality of driving in the USA. But wow, what a great few days. A great car you lucky 930 owners have there.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:50 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Great write-up!!! Great pic!

OK - but - we need more pictures while you were in Germany

Also - details of the 930 you found him???

Soooo many questions! But, the most important one would be... Why didn't you ask the rest of us along??!!

John D.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 PM
luke-44
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

I've browsed a few postings in the 930 section - it's obvious 930 owners are pretty passionate about your cars - a lot different than some of the other sections on RL (OT anybody?)

This car is a 2 owner 1983. It was imported from new and federalized in CA. I acquired it for my friend from the 2nd owner in NH, who had owned it for 10 or so years (the wife of a car guy) but virtually never drove it per all the mtnce records. The s/n from '83 was #530, I forget the rest of the digits but I did check last winter and the numbers all matched. Original paint car, all records, tool kit etc. A good find and perfect for my German friend. I arranged an engine reseal and a few other minor bits and pieces for him from a great shop in Manchester (Precision Imports), a speedo face change to dual mph/kph (needed for German registration), new tires, and off it went.

By the way, according to my buddy the re-importing of these cars back to Germany is a real and growing trend. I can verify that from the compound where I picked the car up - loaded with older 911's and this was not the only turbo there. What made my friend so ecstatic was it was German market compliant. The large US bumpers are an immediate giveaway in Germany and considered a deduct on the value, especially for 911's where the US version may have had lower hp.

By the way, I see you have a 993. My friend also reimported a 993 from CA several years ago which has proven to be very astute value-wise. His thoughts based on the pitter patter from the German car meets and shops he goes to is that 930's, after years of being flat, are now rising at a good pace in Europe. He looks at them relative to other German collectibles and they are undervalued when one considers the production numbers, reputation, etc.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:45 PM
John D.
Banned

NH you say..?? Small world!!!

As well - yes, I do have a 993!! And a couple of others...
https://rennlist.com/forums/10636584-post63.html

'Course - I have been around Rennlist for a while - so don't even start with me about the OT Forum!

Now - we need more pics!!

(OH - 930 Owners are a demanding bunch, aren't we?? )

Best to you!

John D.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

The 911 turbo and 930 have never been truly appreciated by the US Porsche crowd. The are a few pockets of enthusiasts here and there. Lots of the grey market cars that came here in the 80's have gone back home. Great story.
Phil
Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
The 911 turbo and 930 have never been truly appreciated by the US Porsche crowd. The are a few pockets of enthusiasts here and there....
Hi Phil.

Honestly? As a 930 owner and having a Porsche as a daily driver since 1981 - I couldn't disagree more.

YMMV - as I'm certain it does,

John D.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:35 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Lots of the grey market cars that came here in the 80's have gone back home. Great story.
Phil
I concur on that! My 79 930 Last 50 car is back in Germany as is my 91 964 turbo. I have a feeling my 77 930 will end up in Germany if I ever decide to sell her.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:09 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Well with the grey market 930's it very simple, they are more desirable overseas and less desirable in US. I see more overseas shoppers than domestic for 930's. They are collectable cars, and folks are beginning to understand that so prices are definitely on the rise. The Germans in particular tend to use these hard, if they want a nice one it invariably will come out of US. Same with early 911's - they been headed back over the pond for many years now.
Phil
Old 07-29-2013, 01:54 AM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find gray market better. They usually have all the good go fast stuff already.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

When I'm ready to find mine a new home, I'll have to advertise it over there.
I'd be more than happy to deliver it to the new owner, as you did! Wow, what fun!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:05 AM
Janusz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very curious to know how marketable a modified early 930 (say 1978) would be in Europe? Do they want only stock cars or do modified bring a good money too?

•Complete Engine Rebuild- Matching #’s case
•3.4 Liter RUF Mahle P&C’s 7.5-1 Compression
•ARP Head Studs
•AASCO High Performance Valve job with springs and titanium retainers
•Ollies Machine Shop- Balance, rebuild rods, Crankshaft magnafluxed polished and heat treated
•911SC Cams
•Kokeln Ball Bearing Turbo
•Kokeln Intercooler
•Tial 46mm wastegate (1 bar)
•Nology Wires
•B&B Polished headers w/heat
•B&B Polished Exhaust
•Fuel Distributor recurved
•Rennline Polished Alternator Strap
•New ERP copper oil cooler lines and thermostat
•New engine chains and rails, CDI box, Fuel Accumulator
•Billet Valve Covers and aluminum sump plate
•WEVO Engine Mounts
Transmission-
•915 5-speed conversion
•Full Transmission Rebuild
•RSR 6lb lightweight flywheel
•RSR Carbon Kevlar Clutch
•Limited Slip
•WEVO Shifter
•WEVO transmission mounts

Suspension-
•Smart racing 23mm front and rear swaybars with reinforced mounts
•Hollow 22mm front and 29mm rear torsion bars
•ERP Bump Steer Kit
•Custom Valved Bilsteins w/reinforced spindles with front camber adjustability
•Rear mono-ball bushings
•New plastic front, rear and spring plate bushings
•Hawk Performance Brake pads

Interior:
•Sparco Torino Seats in real leather and alacantara
•RS Door Panels
•RS Carpet kit w/ rear seat delete
•Alacantara Dash and headliner
•Rennline Pedals
•Rennline Track Mats
•Autopower roll bar color matched in Slate Gray
•Sparco Touring 4pt belts
•Momo Corsa steering wheel
•Rennline Blower motor cover
•Rennline battery tie down
•Rennline kill switch
•Boost gauge in clock location

Exterior:
•Ggenuine RUF 9x17 front and 10x17 rear Wheels
•H4 Headlight Upgrade
•Oil cooler intake scoop

Body looks 100% stock outside, the original paint not better then any other 35 old paint but from 6ft distance looks good. Original mileage 35k miles, 8k miles since all above mods done. Brakes original floating rotors with pads only ever replaced.
Runs like a dream.
So again: how attractive for German/European buyers car like this would be?

Quick Reply: Musings on a few days with a 930